Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: minimalist/floor sleeping

minimalist/floor sleeping

Anyone try this? Not just having a regular mattress on the floor, but sleeping directly on the floor on a mat or Japanese futon. Seeing this mentioned on a few minimalist sites, I thought I'd try it the past few days.

First, it's really really cold here and my wood floor is on a slab....so it's a bit drafty. My bony fat-free body was not too happy with my setup of yoga mat, folded blankets, fleece pad and sheets and I didn't get much sleep. But I awoke refreshed and feeling great with almost perfect posture. The second night was a bit better with more padding and a wool blanket with a bottom layer of lined picnic blanket.

Nights three and four were spent on my massage table. Much warmer (almost as high as my bed) but not nearly as comfy. The floor pushes your pelvis in line with the rest of your body, instead of sinking into something soft. And the floor's firmness immediately relaxes my entire body and my breath becomes deeper.

I'm going back on the floor tonight with night two's setup. Going to give it a month before I give up. Last night I only got about three hours of sleep but wasn't tired when I woke up and felt good all day. Don't know if I'll ever get rid of a bed, but often imagine what it would be like to not have it in the bedroom, with my mat and blankets folded in the corner.

Your experiences?

Not mine, but my grandson who is now 19. He has preferred to sleep on the (carpeted) floor all of his life. He says the bed makes his neck and back hurt and he wakes up grumpy!

Can't really image "wanting too" vs "having too". I have a few times between moves waiting on moving and set up. I am spoiled and a matress is high on my list of creature comforts.

I had a futon I slept on years agao yes the floor was drafty and eventually the futon creased in the middle after folding it away. I would recommend build a platform for it off the floor. Now fast foward 20 years. I was 20 when I had the futon. Now I think a good nights rest is imperative, essential for good health. Health is the true wealth. Nothing worse than not having a good nights rest for me. I suggest investing in a good mattress, even if you get it and keep it on the floor. Get a used ikea like platform for it. If you are still interested on sleeping on the floor, talk to a Japanese or Korean person they could giude you.

I have and still do when house sitting or visiting/staying with others. The only time it sucks is when there is no good pillow (typically some couch pillow). It feels much better on my back, throwing a blanket down underneath, helps with the heat, as well as sleeping in front of a space heater in winter.

I didn't mind sleeping on the floor when I was young, although I always had a bed.
    Now I'm all about the comfort.

Having been raised on the tale that cockroaches will come out and feast on the microcritters in our eyelashes I always get creeped out at the thought of sleeping on the bare floor....though I love camping so go figure!
    My husband will pull out an airmattress and sleep on the floor when his back is bad but I don't think he's tried the bare floor.

My experience: thin foam mat under sleeping bag on ground is much softer than thin foam mat under blankets on wood floor or carpet...unless you sleep on a turtle. Yea, did that.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Last night I was on the floor again and slept wonderfully. Bugs do have me worried, especially the huge spiders we have here. I don't want to be in an episode of Monsters Inside Me.

I start out on my back without a pillow; when I turn on my side, I wake up and place a small pillow between my knees and grab a pillow for my head. The problem is when I go onto my back again; I don't wake up and continue to use the head pillow. Supposedly you can train yourself to stay on your back all night (no wrinkles!). Time will tell if I keep this up. My bed will have to be a bit more simple than my pile of mats, pads and blankets.

Even just a few minutes of laying on a carpeted floor is very relaxing now. My body aligns perfectly right away.

Actually this thread makes me wonder if one should try an electric blanket on the floor? (under the person)

why are you wanting to sleep on the floor? is it a need or a want, guess I missed this.

Thread Information