Thread: Advocating for myself

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Advocating for myself

So, I think I have mentioned before that I love my job. I am truly grateful to work there and both proud of what we do and indebted to my boss for creating this place where my children got a wonderful part of their educations.

so, I always put the kids first, the administration second, my coworkers third, and me last (ok, maybe the parents are last, but if they are good parents they think they are first because what is important to them is their kids.)

and I'm a very introverted, socially awkward, don't rock somebody else's boat kind of person. (Generally I either paddle or get out of the boat)

but i I could use more hours,and I would like to work more hours. I've been accomplishing this mostly by subbing for other teachers because my boss has put me in a box labeled "art teacher" (actually I'm a PreK-4 all subjects teacher, but I'm also a potter.). And I am a good teacher. I've made comments here and there, but nothing formal.

so last week took a deep breath and had an actual discussion with her about my abilities and career goals. I think she was a little startled, but she actually said "I don't know why I have you in this box." And in the last few days, I have added three new classes for next year (all farm/ag science, so I may now be in a "pottery/farm" box, but at least it's a bigger box) and I dropped a high school level class that was my least favorite. Giving me two full days of actual teaching next year instead of two 3/4 days.

it's a start. I'm really proud of myself for speaking up.

Good job

great! There is so much you can do with your background, 2 full days are great! I really love what she said, it is so easy to get people in boxes!

Great news! So glad you spoke up.

That's great!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

And then today I had another conversation with her, and finally, after telling her a bunch of times over the last three years and actually putting it in writing at least twice before now, she expressed understanding that i am available to work on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and that when I ask her for more than 8 classes (there are 4 classes each day) it means that I want to work on Tuesdays and Thursdays, not that I think she can magically give me more time on days that are already full.

and she is reworking my schedule again. To be continued.....

So, I have my schedule! Full days w/f, plus tu/Th afternoons. The way our system works is that those are my class offerings. Any class that does not have at least 5 kids signed up by mid-August will be cncelled (or possibly adjusted) so everything still depends, but if all goes well I will be teaching twice as much next year, with the option of up to 3 hours of supervisory lunch duty (low pay rate, but basically it just means you eat lunch with the kids, which I kind of like)

i am am excited because I like my students and classes, I like having the structure imposed on my days, and as an added bonus - we might be able to pay off the construction loan in a little over half the time!

Nice work, CL! Sounds like a win-win-win all the way around.

Thread Information