Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: On the Road Tiny House

On the Road Tiny House

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEK7LJSETtU

I struggled with where to put this post. On the one hand, these people live in a 1992 VW Bus (that looks like a 70's bus to people from the US, but was actually sold new in Chile in 1992) so maybe Transportation. On the next hand, they are meeting new people wherever they go, so maybe it should go in Creating Community. But lastly, this has been their home for 4 years now, so I'm putting it in Housing, even though it's only nominally what most of us would consider to be "housing".

In short, these people are awesome. They seem to have figured out truly what is important to them in terms of possessions and what they want to do with their life energy. As the woman says at one point "everything has two, three, four uses". And they regularly pick up random hitch hikers and share what they have with them. They even carry with them multiple extra hammocks in case they decide to stop somewhere for the night while they have hitch hikers with them. But if the weather is crap they have even let hitchhikers sleep inside the van with them. I'm not certain that I could be that trusting of strangers, but perhaps that says more about me than it does about them.

So inspiring to realize that so much of what I, as an ordinary middle class American, think is essential is, in reality, absolutely not necessary if one wants to live an enjoyable life.

6 people in the VW bus one night in a rain storm? CRAZY!! Have to give them Kudos for having made it their home for over 4 years...without splitting up. That's one thing I've noticed in the tiny house movement is couples splitting because they just need more alone time which I get. If we ever went that small we'd need 2 - one for me and my pursuits and one for DH and his music instrument collection.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

No way that I would pick up a hitchhiker! Let alone sleep next to them. That is asking for a disaster!

I think the Tiny house movement is opposite of the Mc Mansion fad. In a few years they will upgrade to campers then to our sized house less than 1000 square feet. I love watching ice hotels, people living in yurts and Id love to see a reality show how to live in a teepee or wigwam. How about a show where you deal with the poverty and challenges of Native Americans in a reservation. There must be some big lessons on simplicity there. Also I would love to stay with the Amish if I could if I could choose .

I went on the people's own channel and watched the video where the six of them ended up spending the night in the VW bus during the storm. That hadn't been the plan. There were two tents that the other four folks were going to sleep in, but the storm was too much for the tents so they made do. The people weren't "hitchhikers" per se, as much as they were just new friends who had accepted an invite to come along to a camping spot and hang out for the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by sylvia View Post
    a show where you deal with the poverty and challenges of Native Americans in a reservation. There must be some big lessons on simplicity there. .
    It's been my experience on several mission trips to Standing Rock. Simplicity is forced because they spent everything on drink. There are big holes in houses but they have big screen TV's. They buy brand new trucks when money comes in...they everyone lose the trucks when they can't make payments. Any projects on reservation have to go through council. If money is given for new roofs or new sidings then everyone has to use the company that the council choose who rarely finish the jobs because the crew decided to leave the site for lunch and spends the rest of the day drinking. We've got one friend up there who has been waiting 5 years for the siding job to be finished on his place.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    That hadn't been the plan.
    Glad to hear that update that makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by sylvia View Post
    I think the Tiny house movement is opposite of the Mc Mansion fad. In a few years they will upgrade to campers then to our sized house less than 1000 square feet. I love watching ice hotels, people living in yurts and Id love to see a reality show how to live in a teepee or wigwam. How about a show where you deal with the poverty and challenges of Native Americans in a reservation. There must be some big lessons on simplicity there. [bold]Also I would love to stay with the Amish if I could if I could choose [/bold].
    To keep thng "simple" the Amish puppy mill owners don't bother woth anesthesia when they are giving caesarians to bulldog bitches.

They can go fkk themsleves.

Some of the biggest and cruelest puppymills are run by the Amish. IL is so right. When one Amish mill was told he had to shut down for so many violations and given a deadline he created a doggie gas chamber and killed them all before authorities came to take them.

Ummmm when I wrote Amish simplicity it didn't mean puppy mills.

Thread Information