Thread: Auto back massager?

Auto back massager?

I've developed neck and back pain and I'm thinking of buying one of those Shiatzu-type back/neck massagers. Any one have one of those? Did you find it helpful?

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I've developed neck and back pain and I'm thinking of buying one of those Shiatzu-type back/neck massagers. Any one have one of those? Did you find it helpful?
    No experience with this, Cathy, but why not buy one of the massaging chairs instead. We have used them at the mall when we are walking and they are incredible, and you can buy them for your home use, and they are not that horribly expensive, and with your muscle issues, I think it would be so worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    No experience with this, Cathy, but why not buy one of the massaging chairs instead. We have used them at the mall when we are walking and they are incredible, and you can buy them for your home use, and they are not that horribly expensive, and with your muscle issues, I think it would be so worth a try.
    Or perhaps hire Sven, the hunky masseur...

I tried a couple of different types. Not really effective and ended up returning them.

I had one from Brookstone for the car. Waste of money but worked nicely as a seat warmer

Before you invest in any "potentially helpful" device, try a real massage to see if it provides the relief you are seeking. Do you know the cause of the new pain? Are you doing an exercises to strengthen the muscles that support your back/neck?

And no, I've not heard of those items actually working....but their advertising is good.

I was a massage therapist for many years, and I tried out one of those in the store. It was extremely uncomfortable for me, but I'm very thin without much covering my bones. You'd benefit more from a massage tailored to your needs.

Have you ever used a foam roller? They will break up tightness in your muscles. And doing a simple plank exercise will strengthen your core, which helps your back.

Thanks everyone. I will hold off on buying one for a bit longer.

I think the mechanical massaging devices, be they a chair or one of those foot things, are awful. Just awful! If they did a job anywhere like a human masseuse I would be happy.

I really really want someone to rub my feet regularly! I would love it if a mechanical device did a good job but they do not.

The gal that does my pedicures has an incredible massage chair. I'm in love with it - for reals. It was because of that chair that I tried the home devices but they don't work, especially on padded furniture. I have told her that if she ever wants to get rid of it I would smuggle it into my garage.

Thread Information