Thread: PBS Show about Healthy Eating

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

PBS Show about Healthy Eating

I am watching a PBS show about healthy eating (Neil Barnard MD).

A lot of discussion about our emotional connection to food becoming a physical addiction.

Most of this show is focused on babyboomers and seniors - makes sense because I grew up with the 4 food groups and was taught to eat red meat, cheese and such. No food labels in those days, and food was the only thing plentiful in my home. Back in those days we had big homecooked meals, lots of snacks in the house (ding-dongs, chips and such). My brain has learned to become stimulated by sugar, fat and chemicals, creating dopamine. I didn't grow up in a athletic family so little to no exercise either.

Great show if you can see it.

What time and day?

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    What time and day?
    How would I know? Check your PBS stations schedule to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by 19Sandy View Post
    How would I know? Check your PBS stations schedule to find out.
    You could at least say when you watched. It would be helpful.... i.e. it is on Sunday....

Barnard's a vegan, so of course he maligns meat and cheese. He's on a mission; one I don't share.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Barnard's a vegan, so of course he maligns meat and cheese. He's on a mission; one I don't share.
    He didn't say anything about NOT eating cheese or meat - just recommended less of those foods.

I started watching this, but have the kind of mind that wants detail. Barnard says that people who ate less red meat and cheese were less likely to develop Alzheimer's. And??? Was anything else different about the diets? Did they control for sugar and flour intake? What about smoking? What about the overall quality of the diet? The people who eat the most red meat and cheese are usually people who live on hyperprocessed, packaged, cheap foods. They also tend to eat very large amounts of sugars and hyper-processed starches, drink soda, and smoke. Where are the comparisons with people who cook from scratch and eat a lot of produce along with red meat and cheese, and don't smoke?

At this point, I changed the channel.

Thread Information