Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cleaning out car from smoke smell/quitting update

I've had asthma since 1980s. Don't skimp on your rescue inhaler. I know the feeling well - "if I can just get by without it I must be getting better!" But I learned that if I was trying to not use it, that meant I needed it. Because I was thinking about whether I needed it, due to actually needing it. When days would go by without a thought of it, then I knew that I really was breathing well without it because it never entered my mind. Peak flows of course confirmed these ideas/thoughts/feelings with objective measures.

It's hard on one's heart and lungs to struggle. It's better to use the albuterol when you need it.

As an aside, after daily asthma meds for over 20 years (long acting inhalers with rescue as needed) I have been off all meds for over six months now. Allergy shots have gotten to the root cause for me. It took 3 years of allergy shots with gradual improvement over time - I never thought I'd be off all medication. I'm still amazed by this development. I feel great.

Good job on the quitting smoking, 👍🏻

Great Tammy, I have times I don't even think about it either. But if I start to get tickles in my throat I know to keep it on me. I have a very small purse at work that holds my 2 cells phones, the inhaler and some kleenex so I am prepared. I had an asthma test a few months ago and I was rated mild, of course I had not smoked in a month as well.

I love albuterol, and I haven't needed any additional medication for a long time. I would probably need more if I was actively trying to run but that medicine cost $150 a month to get under 10 minute miles. I can still walk and run, but it isn't always in my control how fast. I have not had any issues with albuterol being a lot except when I am really sick and taking it all the time, or when I used a nebulizer. I have a heart thing that is benign, just sometimes my heart rate shoots up to 150/160 bpm while not doing any activity. I think that overall too much caffeine can affect it and I have noticed a hormonal connection. I have read that as my brain weans off the nicotine I will feel the effects of caffeine more and so I can drink less. But I realize this is a long process with many causes, and so one step at a time really.

Hey Zoe, you might get some regular charcoal briquettes and place them on the floorboards of the car for awhile. They do a great job of pulling odors. It may be hard to get the baking soda on the cloth roof liner but maybe spraying some diluted vinegar would help. Congrats on taking such efforts to rid your life of cigarettes. Also, go ahead and replace the air filter in the car and there is an air intake under the hood that you could spray some diluted vinegar into while the car is running and AC or Heat is on, apparently cigarette smoke saturates the air vents. Do you have any friends with a garage or an outdoor plug where you could use your good vacuum? I agree that most at the car washes are not worth the 75cents it takes to turn them on.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

There is an area that once the smell gets into, you are pretty well stuck; the a/c heater system. If you have a vehicle that has a "cabin air filter" then you can get to that area, and I seem to remember they sold some higher end filters that might help. But there are still a lot of vehicles that don't have one of those. (those it would take physically removing the dash, completely)

Thank you, The charcoal sounds like a good idea and the air filter. I am trying not to have the pity party about honestly not having friends I could borrow an outlet from. When I drive up to see my sister I could use her outlets. Also taking a road trip to Iowa for 5 generation photo, and if we take my car that will work.

The 'friend issue' really made the weekend long and quitting challenging, and I came to school today and saw the teacher I have made strong efforts at meeting for coffee or something but it is time to let that drop. Geez, do people actually intend to get together when they say they will or are they are just being nice and then blowing you off? That is way off -topic. I have one person I have offered to meet for coffee, not go to his house, but he is a smoker so I am nervous. And I will just tell him that directly rather than stringing this out. This related to quitting because I don't feel like being nice today or in general.

Aren't there car washes nearby that have vacuums available?

Thread Information