Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cleaning out car from smoke smell/quitting update

cleaning out car from smoke smell/quitting update

Now that I can smell better I can smell the car that is infused with residual smoke smell. I did the basic wipe down with clothes, I have leather seats so was able to do that. Now I am taking glass cleaner to the inside and I read about using baking soda on the carpets and even the inside top. I need to vacuum however and the vacuums at the car washes are kinda sucky. I have an amazing vacuum but no place to plug it in. Not sure how to find an outside power plug living on the 3rd floor of an apartment building.

So I am thinking about managing today by lots of cleaning, and buying new bras. Yeah that is fun! But cleaning seems like a good idea to clear out old stuff, trip to goodwill with stuff and stuff in the car being cleaned out. I did some yoga today, focusing on breathing more, staying away from my own kids since they all smoke, and getting some great healthy food. I am irritable, too many cats in my house, too much kitchen mess, too much work to get ready for a conference that I really am excited about. I am taking some type of headache medicine every day (I like the fizzy kind), but the breathing is improving and the stomach problems. On the breathing I have been tracking my peak flow (for asthma) and I am down to 200 today, I want to keep at at least 300. So it is so frustrating to not be great at breathing while taking out the smoking. I may take my inhaler so I can take walks and the stairs at my apartment.

Thank you all for listening

How hard that you have to avoid your kids.

it will take time for your lungs to recover - it is great that your sense of smell is coming back though!

Also so cool that you are getting inspired to clean up and clear out, it seems like the lift from positive changes in one area is carrying over to inspire more positive change! Nice!

ZG: When we quit smoking, we had been smoking in our 1995 Saturn for 17 years. There was no getting the smell out of that car, but it did dissipate over time since we weren't adding to it. We kept the car for 2 more years before retiring it.

I helped a friend clean out an apartment where smokers had lived for 6 years. The recommended product was "Awesome!" We bought it at the Dollar Store, $1/quart in spray bottle. It actually dissolved the residue, then to be wiped away with paper towels. (paper towels, because using cloth and rinsing them out to keep going released such noxious substance into the air, Yuck!)

We used it on every hard surface, except the windows, where we also used a product called "Awesome for Glass" also from the dollar store. It was slow going, but highly effective.

BTW, we both wore masks, as we are both sensitive to cigarette smoke.

Rosa, I may not get 100% of it out but at least so it is not triggering me when I smell it. At first I could not smell it, but now when on a warm day it has a smell. I can't totally blame myself because my son smoked in it. Now he has his own car so I can actually reduce the lingering smoke smell

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    You should revoke your cats. I know people will,disagree with me but since we have been animal free I have gotten to breathe so much better. I never smoked but have awful asthma. Simplify your life as much as possible.

I would revoke the kids' smoking privileges long before I'd throw away a companion animal. I have a (smoking) friend whose cat developed COPD from second-hand smoke.

My kids only smoke outside or in their own cars, so it is not too hard to avoid them. But when they all get together at my house they hang out outside and smoke. I never have allowed it inside even during the time I did. They have never broken that rule so the air is clean inside.

My old kitty is lovely, doing very well and healthy at 14 years. The other cats are well taken care of by my son and girlfriend. I don't have a cat allergy issue, I am exercise and virus induced with my asthma, I was diagnosed when I had bronchitis and then it flared with running. So I might as well keep my kitty.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I would revoke the kids' smoking privileges long before I'd throw away a companion animal. I have a (smoking) friend whose cat developed COPD from second-hand smoke.
    I meant re home. My asthma was induced by second hand smoke, but as I aged it has gotten worse and worse. Giving up our animals was very difficult but there are many recommendations allergy and asthma experts are getting rid of carpets, dust, dirt, furry animals, molds. The cleaner my environment the better I can breathe. It is not popular to get rid of animals but for some of us it is very helpful.

Yeah! My peak flow was at 300 this evening without medicine. Trying not to check all the time but it encourages me to see progress.

Thread Information