Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: And ACA dismantlement starts

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I wonder where he got an idea like that? Maybe here: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/obama-to...s-your-iphone/

"Mr. Obama told the youth leaders gathered that he's not sure what the monthly cost of an iPhone is -- "I am not allowed for security reasons to have an iPhone," he said -- but that he expects that the cost of health coverage on the new Obamacare marketplaces is comparable."
    that referred to the Obamacare marketplace. If you read the new bill and explanations of it you will find that the cost of an iPhone per month will be way way less than what premiums are expected to be for the poor and lower income folks who were covered through subsidies. Trumpcare will punish the poor and lower middle class and reward the rich. After many years of promising repeal and replacement with a better more affordable plan I would have expected more than these proposals. Even the middle class should expect to struggle to pay for coverage.

Everyone needs to wait to see what the insurance companies do with this crazy mess. First, they have to say whether they will even provide any ACA policies in 2018 by May. Then they need to provide costs and this will be a shock for everyone no matter what plan they have.

I wonder where he got an idea like that? Maybe here: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/obama-to...s-your-iphone/

"Mr. Obama told the youth leaders gathered that he's not sure what the monthly cost of an iPhone is -- "I am not allowed for security reasons to have an iPhone," he said -- but that he expects that the cost of health coverage on the new Obamacare marketplaces is comparable."
    So, was chaffetz trying to say that under the new republican plan that the price of insurance isn't going up? Or was he just trying to plagiarize an Obama because the words sounded good? That does seem to be the hip republican thing to do these days. (And yes, I realize that hip republican is kind of an oxymoron.)

I agree with both Chaffitz and
    Obama--make sure your health care is covered before you sign on for the latest and greatest iPhone.

what is wrong with that?

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    So, was chaffetz trying to say that under the new republican plan that the price of insurance isn't going up? Or was he just trying to plagiarize an Obama because the words sounded good? That does seem to be the hip republican thing to do these days. (And yes, I realize that hip republican is kind of an oxymoron.)
    Sounded more like saying people who can't afford to pay for their healthcare are just economically irresponsible, and it's their own damn fault. To be sure there are exceptions out there - but most people who can't afford an iPhone don't have one. And many folks have smart phones because they can't also afford a landline/home computer/internet.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I agree with both Chaffitz and
    Obama--make sure your health care is covered before you sign on for the latest and greatest iPhone.

what is wrong with that?
    I suppose there's nothing wrong with saying, essentially, 'dead people can't talk, so buy some damn health insurance.' But I think obama was trying to make a fundamentally different point, that point being that the insurance won't be much more expensive than one's phone bill. By paraphrasin/plagarizing him, chafetz is fundamentally obscuring or ignoring that point.

If Alan weren't picking up the bill for us, our household's monthly medical insurance payments would be about the same as a lease payment on a Tesla Model S P100D, which goes 0->60 in just a hair over 2 seconds.

Thanks Alan!

Quote Originally Posted by creaker View Post
    Sounded more like saying people who can't afford to pay for their healthcare are just economically irresponsible, and it's their own damn fault.
    I wonder if there's anything to that?

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

And it's all so unnecessary. The majority of Canadians seem to be happy with their healthcare system. At least, I don't think any of them are trying to emulate our system. Why can't we just adapt a Canadian type system?

I wonder if there's anything to that?
    "Apple purchases online" may roll in iTunes purchases - movies, music, that sort of thing. It's pretty easy to run up an Apple bill simply renting a movie on iTunes/AppleTV now-and-then.

Thread Information