Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: And ACA dismantlement starts

Quote Originally Posted by Florence View Post
    And it's all so unnecessary. The majority of Canadians seem to be happy with their healthcare system. At least, I don't think any of them are trying to emulate our system. Why can't we just adapt a Canadian type system?
    Because the people currently profiting would lose out.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    If Alan weren't picking up the bill for us, our household's monthly medical insurance payments would be about the same as a lease payment on a Tesla Model S P100D, which goes 0->60 in just a hair over 2 seconds.

Thanks Alan!
    I'll be out in Northern California and Southern Oregon over the summer. Any chance you can meet me and give me a turn at the wheel? I know it's a bit out of your way, but, fair is fair.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I wonder if there's anything to that?

I agree there are people who don't spend wisely (doesn't that have something to do with why we are here?). But should we blame everyone for that? I know my cheapo $80 android is not in this graph, although I could afford something better.

I'll be out in Northern California and Southern Oregon over the summer. Any chance you can meet me and give me a turn at the wheel? I know it's a bit out of your way, but, fair is fair.
    No trouble at all, it came with lifetime free recharging. America is great!

I wonder if there's anything to that?

I take issue with that measure! It is bogus!!! My household, kinda/sorta in that income class depending on what you count, has all of these in our extra refrigerator in the basement:

IMG_3101.jpg

Dozens and dozens of apples, and we didnt buy a one of them! They are from our city orchard and DH's family farm. The squirrel-man I live with eats tons of apples.

so what does the graph show anyway, that Apple phones can be kind of pricey? Most health insurance plans for most income brackets (except if you are currently very heavily subsidized) are going to run quite a bit more than those Apple costs. Most of those Apple costs break down to about maybe $65 a month. Good luck finding health insurance for that monthly price. You won't. No way, no how. So giving up Apple phones isn't going to pay the insurance bill.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    so what does the graph show anyway, that Apple phones can be kind of pricey?
    Well, they are that, but I think it shows that the lowest income demographics pay as much for their Apple products as others with much higher income levels. It's up to the observer to determine whether that is irresponsible or not.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

This plan works much better for me. I'd rather have the tax break and be able to fund a HSA. And I don't even have a iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Jason Chaffetz has the solution. Don't buy a new iPhone and spend the money on healthcare. Clueless.
    The specifics may be inaccurate, but I think there is a point to be made. There are young and mid-aged healthy people who have never considered health insurance a priority but maybe spend an equal amount on non-necessities. A new iphone might be a start, but throw in monthly phone costs, cable TV, some sort of high speed internet for gaming, maybe a fancy car, motorcycle, or house payment, booze, or whatever. I'm coming from a life of frugal living but I know people who did not have health insurance who could probably afford it. Along comes the ACA where the government foots part of the bill and they can fit a few toys in with insurance. I'm not judging right or wrong, just saying.

When these healthy younger people drop out of the insurance pool, like will surely happen now, it will make things even more expensive for everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    No trouble at all, it came with lifetime free recharging. America is great!
    Whose​ lifetime? You, the car or Tesla?

Thread Information