Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: If they don't pass the new health care plan today.................

If they don't pass the new health care plan today.................

Trump is taking his toys and going home.
    What a curious demand..........that the House approve this new plan today, or he's keeping the ACA forever (as punishment, I guess).
    Geez. I'm still in disbelief that he's our president....

Wouldn't that be nice - the republicans have 4 years to work on their plan slowly and carefully, and markets stabilize because they know exactly what to expect.

unfortunately, it's highly unlikely anyone will believe him.

It is beyond is power as President to "keep the ACA forever". Such a statement from him indicates he simply d9esn't know how our system of government works.

If Congress agreed upon a replacement or modification to the ACA, all he could do is veto their legislation, which they could override if they had enough votes.

the republicans have 4 years to work on their plan slowly and carefully,
    Well they've already had 7 years.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    It is beyond is power as President to "keep the ACA forever". Such a statement from him indicates he simply d9esn't know how our system of government works.

If Congress agreed upon a replacement or modification to the ACA, all he could do is veto their legislation, which they could override if they had enough votes.
    But they dont. Which is why he may keep the ACA forever. I think he is correct in that.

One discussion point I found interesting from NPR news stories yesterday: One faction of the House Republicans wants to remove the list of Essential Items required in policies. Another faction want to keep the actual list, and there is tug of war over that. But here is what I found interesting, that the revised bill could declare there to be essential health services fo be covered without naming them. Then , later, the Dept of Health and Human Services would determine that list by regulatin.

Ths is, apparently, Paul Ryan's wish.

Theoretically I like the idea of Congressional bills being less specific, and regulartory activity definng the details.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    But they dont. Which is why he may keep the ACA forever. I think he is correct in that.

One discussion point I found interesting from NPR news stories yesterday:
    Well, at least it sounds like they are reading it this time before voting on it :-)

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    All I can say is I hope, hope, hope, that the saner of the GOP members vote against this plan showing a complete and total lack of respect towards human rights, let alone decency. Also the Trumpcare plan would make the United States less competitive in the sense that more smart people would be inclined to bail taking themselves (and their assets) to better countries in which human life is worth health care. There is no excuse for Trumpcare to pass, there really is not, even from a basic dollars and cents perspective. The 85006 is unanimous (sp?) on two thumbs down for Trumpcare. Not that this should matter to others not in the 85006, I get that.

My point is that like so many other issues in the United States, this one boils down to social class. Though even I believe that fear of American Health Care is moving upwards through the social classes, and the passage of TrumpCare would make some of the smarter folks still clinging to the middle class question the long term economic validity of retaining US citizenship. Like Martha Stewart says, this would be a good thing. But we'll see how the vote goes, I don't read the future and I don't claim to. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Trump is taking his toys and going home.
    What a curious demand..........that the House approve this new plan today, or he's keeping the ACA forever (as punishment, I guess).
    Geez. I'm still in disbelief that he's our president....
    Cathy, you and me both on the disbelief that Trump is the POTUS. Did you hear of his way, way, way out there recent interview with Time magazine? It's Bizarro World Gold. Rob

PS About Trump taking his toys and going home - A). Can he just stay home until the 2020 elections? Please?, and B). Did anyone see the video of him yesterday play acting like he was driving a big rig? His faces and actions were truly bizarre, especially considering that his health care bill that would negatively impact the lives of so many Americans was being discussed while he was acting like a five year old. "Look, Mom, I'm play acting like a trucker! Cool!" - while his bill that would strip Americans of health insurance - a life and death issue of basic huge importance - was being discussed not far from where he was acting like a five year old. Just utterly amazing that the US as a country has sunk to this and that there are still people who support Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    All I can say is I hope, hope, hope, that the saner of the GOP members vote against this plan showing a complete and total lack of respect towards human rights, let alone decency. Also the Trumpcare plan would make the United States less competitive in the sense that more smart people would be inclined to bail taking themselves (and their assets) to better countries in which human life is worth health care. There is no excuse for Trumpcare to pass, there really is not, even from a basic dollars and cents perspective. The 85006 is unanimous (sp?) on two thumbs down for Trumpcare. Not that this should matter to others not in the 85006, I get that.

My point is that like so many other issues in the United States, this one boils down to social class. Though even I believe that fear of American Health Care is moving upwards through the social classes, and the passage of TrumpCare would make some of the smarter folks still clinging to the middle class question the long term economic validity of retaining US citizenship. Like Martha Stewart says, this would be a good thing. But we'll see how the vote goes, I don't read the future and I don't claim to. Rob
    So that you understand, the "saner" GOP members may be voting against it because it doesnt go far enough in doing that you would not like.

Please share that idea of fleeing with assets with the Congressional Budget Office, I will bet they didnt take that into account. Silly them.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    So that you understand, the "saner" GOP members may be voting against it because it doesnt go far enough in doing that you would not like.

Please share that idea of fleeing with assets with the Congressional Budget Office, I will bet they didnt take that into account. Silly them.
    IL. with all due respect.....if you were to comparison shop US citizenship with that of the rest of the developed world with affordable access to health care as your criteria, you would find the United States down at the bottom of the barrel and sorely lacking. Don't believe me, please don't - do the research yourself and then let's discuss. If health care matters to you (?), much better deals can be had elsewhere. Brutal perhaps but yet very true and being in the lower social classes, all you are ever going to get out of me is how it really is. Another way of saying this is that I don't turn in my 85006 card for anybody.....but I digress.

Now, don't be surprised here, ok? I'm about to agree with your first point. Yes, some of the GOP believe Trumpcare does not go far enough, and if this is enough to keep Obamacare alive, so be it. There is time to vote them out of office and shame/humiliate them publicly after the vote. I will also say that some of the moderates of the GOP believe Trumpcare goes TOO FAR, and for these individuals voting against Trumpcare I truly have respect, even if they are Republicans. That is a brave thing to do and I tip my hat off to them while taking names as in the future I wish to show these folks some respect and some tolerance.....even if they do things I disapprove of down the road. What matters for basic human rights is that they vote NO now. Rob

Thread Information