Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New travel ban

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Is 'white nationalist' different from 'Aryan paradise'?
    Not being an insider with the white nationalists I have to admit that I'm not sure if they still use Aryan or if they've ever spoken of an Aryan paradise. It's possible that Jane was being politically insensitive of the white nationalists.

In any case, at this point Bannin isnt hitler, only a hitler wannabe so Godwin' law doesn't seem to apply here.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    In any case, at this point Bannin isnt hitler, only a hitler wannabe so Godwin' law doesn't seem to apply here.
    I think if you were to ask Mr. Godwin, he'd disagree: "Godwin's law does not claim to articulate a fallacy; it is instead framed as a memetic tool to reduce the incidence of inappropriate hyperbolic comparisons."
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Godwin's law is expanding to include references to Aryans, apparently. It signifies that we are treading waters that have been trod before. We ignore that at our peril.
    Not to be silly, Jane, but if you have trod the waters before, doesn't that put us in such elite company that we would be able to solve these problems instantly? Or is your metaphor getting even subtler?
    Are we now treading water when we used to walk on water?

I haven't personally trod (treaded?) fascist waters--i'm a bit too young for that. (And although I'm very buoyant, I'm not a water-strider. )

I would be thrilled if Jesus were to come back and let us know what He thinks of current events (He'd have his hands full with the money changers who are running the show, I suspect). But I'd be vastly surprised if he did, and would have to rethink my deism/agnostic/pantheist world view.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Is 'white nationalist' different from 'Aryan paradise'?
    I would certainly think so. Any student of history, could look back at the USA before WWII, and see how the USA was filled with white men, who were nationalistic and wanting nothing to do with WWII as well as how much antisemitism there was in this country.
    Where an Aryan Paradise was something the Nazi's strove for, and that in itself, could have eventually gone against Hitler, since he had a Jewish mother and as in all religions, some seem to believe if one has something in their blood (color, religion, etc), then they are tainted.
    But what do I know, I only have talked to someone (neighbor) that grew up over there, during and after the war, as well as another friend, whose family was brought over because of the V2 rocket program (otherwise he would have been at Nuremberg for running the camp he did).
    Now what about the black nationalists? (Nation of Islam, for instance) Where is the condemnation of them as well for their belief's? Be careful becoming the thought police as ones own thoughts would also be subject to someones else's view.

I get the impression that some of you are skeptical about whether Steve Bannon is serious about his stated opinion that we're in the throws of a fourth turning and in need of a 'cleansing war' against radical Islam and that the war will likely be bigger than the last fourth turning war (WWII) since that one was bigger than the prior fourth turning war (civil war)and that one the one before it (the revolution).

I don't take Mr. Bannon seriously.

I don't take many of the people who take Mr. Bannon seriously seriously. Especially the ones who see jackboots in our future.

I don't take the Strauss-Howe Generational Theory seriously.

We seem to be living in a golden age of paranoid nuttiness and perfervid political fantasy.

Thus, I drink.

If it weren't for the position he currently has I wouldn't take him seriously either. And having read Strauss-Howe I don't think bannon has a terribly good understanding of their theory.

Drinking seems to,be a reasonable way of dealing it's current events. Although I suppose now is the time to point out that neither hitler nor trump drank/drink. Coincidence? Or...

Hitler used drugs and maybe Donald does too. It might explain the bizarre behavior.

Thread Information