Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how do you manage your energy consumption effectively?

Energy expenditure, I guess I don't worry about it to the point of being blazing hot or freezing cold just to save energy (I can take *some* heat though, have some heat tolerance, but it gets hotter than that, and I don't have any cold tolerance whatsoever). So I turn off lights and the shredder when not in use whenever I remember. I barely even own kitchen appliances beyond the basic stove and fridge. I have the computer equipment on a power strip I switch off when not in use. I try to buy Energy Star when I'm buying electronic or electrical devices. I pay for the Green (wind) power as well. And beyond that I guess I don't worry about it. Because most of the advice on saving power is utterly useless, it's advice for homeowners who can modify their whole building, and so for renters like me it doesn't have anything to offer.
    Trees don't grow on money

but he claims we can do all these other things - really? How? Because I vote, I teach, I donate, I write and call my elected representatives (and as I am a political minority where I live, they don't give a damn).
    it's not any better where I live. To be represented only by what is very much a minority party right now (Dems) doesn't really give one much say over anything either.

The personal choices I make are the only areas where I see any actual effect.

and yes, they are not enough.
    worse than that, I barely even think those personal choices are possible for most people. Ok there is a real fine line between what is and is not possible, and what can or can not be rearranged to make things possible, but I tried to do it all, and wasn't able, it's just TOO hard to work full time, it really is.

It's almost enough to regularly cook for myself sometimes. Most people I know aren't even doing that at this point. That's how fricken crazy things are. But anyway, coworkers have acted amazed at various things, that I regularly cook dinner rather than go out, that I regularly bring my lunch etc.. (except in locations where the restaurants were particularly horrible, then suddenly everyone is). But yes I'm determined. But even then I work about 40 hours, my bf who works 6 days a week, 10-11 hours days doesn't. Yes ok I recycle most things (and sometimes I get lazy and don't wash some container out, I just throw it away!), dispose of most things as best as I can etc.. But the time to go above and beyond just isn't there. I haven't even USED my reusable bags for a while, because I haven't had time to wash them in awhile (they are really filthy, I'm no germophobe but yuck).

So in a way individual choices without any social support (the most basic example - trash is picked up at your residence, recycling has to be driven to a recycling place), will tend NOT TO PERSIST. Only the most determined will keep it up as everything is set to make doing so very difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    So, here is the thing for me, because (I am ok, don't worry) his writing about the drop in a bucket effect of personal choices and the logical end path being suicide resonates with me.

As I remember a Jensen interview someone asked if he had what a dismal outlook why he just didn't do himself in. He said first of all that he loved life and second that he enjoyed the fight. He is good at writing, but we all have our talents and don't have to be an activist or anarchist to make a difference. I think there are a lot of ordinary people who have their own special talents that might not be spectacular or radical, but as a group can push things forward if we press our comfort level away from the consumer establishment.

I enjoy doing what I think is the right thing, and that includes a pretty simple life and some extra environmental efforts. It's not so much that it's going to change the planet. I just like it and it seems like the right thing.

I'm being made determined by adrenaline.

when all of your options make you want to throw up, it's a lot easier to not eat.

the default for food isn't go out, it's piece of fruit, chunk of bread, piece of cheese, carrot... Or go hungry.

when you can't sleep, you have time to wash your bags, write someone, plant seeds, search the Internet for a compostable toothbrush....

i cancelled my trash service, so now, it's a lot easier to not bring home whatever the thing is - all things must be kept or taken somewhere by me.

you use less water when you stay home for three days and don't care if you shower or wear clean clothes...

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    when you can't sleep, you have time to wash your bags, write someone, plant seeds, search the Internet for a compostable toothbrush....
    The apartment laundry machines hours end at 10pm, so I'm not going to do a laundry when I can't sleep. I suppose if I washed my bags in the bathtub, and I suppose that is indeed green. Truthfully if I can't sleep I may go online and waste a little time, I may nibble something, but I know ultimately I have to *try* to sleep. It's not optional to surviving day to day. I don't want to run on adrenaline, and cortisol, and caffeine.

I wasn't recommending it.

in my case, I find that I am more likely to be able to sleep if I give my brain a sense that I have done all I can for now.

But also, my humor tends toward the dark and has not been helped recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post

As I remember a Jensen interview someone asked if he had what a dismal outlook why he just didn't do himself in. He said first of all that he loved life and second that he enjoyed the fight. He is good at writing, but we all have our talents and don't have to be an activist or anarchist to make a difference. I think there are a lot of ordinary people who have their own special talents that might not be spectacular or radical, but as a group can push things forward if we press our comfort level away from the consumer establishment.
    I agree--well said. I just become concerned that the simple life is very much a counterculture and probably always will be-definitely part of the "harm reduction" Jensen talks about, but not likely to effect the change we need to stop total destruction of the planet, which will be undeniably accelerated during this administration.

Also, I like McKibben, too, but sometimes I feel like his "350" approach is too abstract for most people. Who can connect 350ppm of CO2 to their everyday life? Not many. Until climate change is seen as a tangible threat, no one is likely to worry about it except for us treehuggers. But I do admit, he has done a lot of good for the cause--arguably more then Jensen. It's true that it's a lot easier to swallow the 350ppm message than the "civilization be damned" one.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

We have lights with motion sensors and the ones we have outside are solar powered. We also have a programmable thermostat. Anyway, even our company is trying to reduce energy consumption. We recently got an energy management solution that'll help us monitor our usage. I wonder if this kind of solution can be used for homes as well.

Yppej
    I am working on hypermiling.

Quote Originally Posted by printslicker View Post
    I wonder if this kind of solution can be used for homes as well.
    No.

Thread Information