Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Day Without a Woman General Strike

Less than 1 in 5 women in the US "self-identify" as feminists.

Which is the sort of statistic that made me immensely curious about the nature of a mostly female workplace that would actually have 100% participation in the "strike".

(I put that in quotes because I don't think it qualifies as a strike in the traditional sense.)

i would "self-identify" as a humanist if that word hadn't been given a religious denotation.

I read somewhere that one of the goals of the strike was to overcome society's expectation that women smile. Is that true?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I was at a conference I have been waiting to get to for a long time so all 16 women and 1 man were there (and he was the support person getting lunches and materials and setting up dinner reservations). However I will say it was a topic during the day at times, we all felt our work was not something to just call-out on. I saw a lot of ideas of how you could support without calling out of work which was good.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Imagine if every female in healthcare in the USA called in 'striking'. Irresponsible expectation. We can support women and be strong without enmass sick calls. I think it was a pathetic request.

And every female law enforcement officer? And every school teacher? Ridiculous!
    That reminds me of the New Yorker cartoon with the banner on an office building that reads "Welcome Back Inessential Personnel".

I introduced a young woman who is planning her education and career to a mentor who has walked a very similar life path and can help her make better decisions to achieve her goals more easily.

at an opportune moment.

because I was at work.

i'm very goal oriented. If calling off had served my goals, I would have called off. If there is a day when I feel I can be more effective elsewhere, I will call off. But i'm kind of behind all the lines about showing up being a key element in life. As long as I have a place I feel like I can be a force for good, I will show up.

tonight it means sticking labels on blank jars of jelly at the food bank. (And recycling their case wrap)

I wasn't on strike yesterday. I only work part-time and I'm always off on Wednesdays.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

That reminds me of the New Yorker cartoon with the banner on an office building that reads "Welcome Back Inessential Personnel".
    otoh the essential personal got a 3 am phone call to deal with a crisis again last night and still had to get to work bright and early, their spouse hates them for it too. Think very hard about what you really want to be ... And if you aren't essential enough to be bothered nights and weekends, you probably aren't that essential.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I didnt even know it was a thng until reading your message.

As a retired woman, I am marginalized to the point of not being informed about my marginalization.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I read somewhere that one of the goals of the strike was to overcome society's expectation that women smile. Is that true?
    I have no idea. Do people--often complete strangers--regularly badger you to smile, Alan? I doubt it.
    It's a thing, and symbolic, and annoying, at the least.

Thread Information