Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Day Without a Woman General Strike

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    My local news referred to it as a "general strike on international women's day". Did I get that wrong?
    Ah. My wife just explained it to me.

I think those who do not work out of the home (for money), such as mothers and wives, are some of the most important of women. How do they take the day off? Women with a sense of worth and responsibility, those with the most important jobs, will be at home or at work doing their job.

when every day is a day off work obviously you don't need to take days off work. If one was really motivated to go to a protest I believe they could find a way regardless. If not oh well they are just like many others who might want to but can't find a way, like those who don't have paid time off at their jobs for instance (it's not a legal requirement in this country to have ANY sick or vacation days - maybe there should be a protest about that).

To the extent that the issues are work issues (equal pay for paid work), yea you probably do need to work for pay to have a relevant opinion on that, but to extent that they are non-work related woman's issues then not so much so.
    Last edited by ApatheticNoMore; 3-8-17 at 5:00pm.
    Trees don't grow on money

Imagine if every female in healthcare in the USA called in 'striking'. Irresponsible expectation. We can support women and be strong without enmass sick calls. I think it was a pathetic request.

And every female law enforcement officer? And every school teacher? Ridiculous!

As the only male on staff where I work, I gotta say it was weird being there all by myself all day!

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Imagine if every female in healthcare in the USA called in 'striking'. Irresponsible expectation. We can support women and be strong without enmass sick calls. I think it was a pathetic request.

And every female law enforcement officer? And every school teacher? Ridiculous!
    The world isn't going to end if 76% of school teachers strike for a day. And as much as the "secretary of education" hates public school teachers maybe they should.

Were you really?

i think the point was to raise people's awareness about the contributions women make to the economy.

including unpaid work -

imagine if all those stay at home moms actually did take the day off and the dads had to call off work to care for their children....

i'm a teacher. I find my job too important to walk away from it to make a point. So I put on my red shirt and went to work. I think the only people who noticed were the other teacher in a red shirt and her girlfriend who came for lunch.

I think how I and many people may have viewed it is:

1) high cost (miss a day of work - look I take days off work ok, but especially without giving advance notice the amount one can take of those are limited if one wants to stay employed and I use mine when I can stand work no more mostly). Plus I think politics being obvious at work is dangerous. The two don't mix. Well unless one is unionizing and it's inevitable at that point.
    2) and low benefit (what specifically is the strike for?). I think if people are going to miss work (high cost) they probably want to see a very large movement with a very specific message sent maybe. If a union is on strike people working there may be missing work, but there is no doubt what is being fought for (and they are all in the same boat). But what kind of specific message is going to be sent if it's a global movement? Not all politics are that global (really it's not, although there are global trends, people usually want very specific things out of their very specific government - well ok climate change is global - but most issues are somewhat country specific).

Were you really?

i think the point was to raise people's awareness about the contributions women make to the economy.

including unpaid work -

imagine if all those stay at home moms actually did take the day off and the dads had to call off work to care for their children....
    yes if people really wanted to go they can often find a way (I think many of the working poor can't, but that's a different demographic).

i'm a teacher. I find my job too important to walk away from it to make a point. So I put on my red shirt and went to work. I think the only people who noticed were the other teacher in a red shirt and her girlfriend who came for lunch.
    I don't think anyone would notice, but I still think no upside to politics at work (yea except unionizing and other things that could actually improve work itself)
    Trees don't grow on money

No, I was joking! All the women showed up at my work -- which is all women except me.

I did have a friend who went to some activities for women's day, but did not take part in the strike. It was interesting because the activities were facilitated by women and women were the attendees. Childcare was provided so that women could facilitate and attend these activities, but the childcare was provided by other women.

I thought you might be, but if you weren't I was really going to need to know exactly where you work that that would happen.

Thread Information