Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Day Without a Woman General Strike

Day Without a Woman General Strike

All my female staff showed up today. It will be interesting to see how much traction this thing gets.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    All my female staff showed up today. It will be interesting to see how much traction this thing gets.
    I didnt even know it was a thng until reading your message.

As a retired woman, I am marginalized to the point of not being informed about my marginalization.

I didn't go to work today, took a "vacation" day instead.

I'm a retired professional woman and I think this is stupid. If I were still in the workplace, I would have people depending on me for my expertise. What about at home, mothers with young children are supposed to take the day off and not take care of them?

Pointless grandstanding, IMO.

Someone has to say it.....

Why didn't a woman tell me about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Florence View Post
    I'm a retired professional woman and I think this is stupid. If I were still in the workplace, I would have people depending on me for my expertise. What about at home, mothers with young children are supposed to take the day off and not take care of them?
    +1

Our local (very leftist) online rag is all gung-ho about it, and one of their "reporters" wrote up a story encouraging every woman to abandon their posts, not shop in town, and wear red.

The "reporter" interviewed the owner of the local pharmacy, who is also one of our county council members, and a white male. When asked if his employees were participating, he said "um, no, they're all women, and we'd have to close". "Well, isn't that the point?" the reporter snarkily commented.

Yes, I suppose the point is to close down the one source of medicines in our community for a day, to make some deranged display of free-form solidarity. Because that won't, I don't know, cause serious health issues if someone needs meds....

I asked the reporter if most of our county EMS/Fire/Law dispatchers should abandon their post for the day, as they and their supervisor are females... And the Captain of our main fire station, who is female. And about 1/2 of our ambulance drivers/EMTs, as well as my main partner for interior firefighting and technical rescue work. No answer, just a sigh and some eye-rolling for my misogyny. (And I didn't dare ask if trans-women were welcome at their strike-celebration event, as I wasn't sure what generation of feminism was going to be carrying the day.)

Most of the people hereabout participating in the "strike" don't seem to have actual jobs though. And seem to be operating from a position of great privilege.

I do think your thread title is a bit off, OP! It implies something different than what you are trying to say. (I hope.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I do think your thread title is a bit off, OP! It implies something different than what you are trying to say. (I hope.)
    My local news referred to it as a "general strike on international women's day". Did I get that wrong?

Thread Information