Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Day Without a Woman General Strike

Quote Originally Posted by TVRodriguez View Post
    Really?
    Apparently: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.2b087f1c2afb

“Stop telling women to smile” has become a rallying point for feminists who say that men who cajole or prompt women to smile in public are asserting control.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Apparently: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.2b087f1c2afb

“Stop telling women to smile” has become a rallying point for feminists who say that men who cajole or prompt women to smile in public are asserting control.
    I'm glad you cleared that up; it's always helpful to get a man's take on an issue that overwhelmingly affects women.

"Prompt women to smile?" Hahaha! "Oh thanks so much for reminding me that I have a duty to society to walk around with a permagrin on my face."

Quote Originally Posted by TVRodriguez View Post
    I ...
    I find it odd that so many women in the US not only do not identify as feminists but revile the word, while at the same time making flippant comments like "I voted Republican because I can afford my own abortion" and "I'm not aware of any rights I don't have." Those are actual comments I've heard from so-called "conservative" women. If it had not been for those feminists of the past and present, they would be lacking plenty of rights.

Here are a couple of links on the 1975 event and its outcome for those interested:

http://nvdatabase.swarthmore.edu/con...-equality-1975

https://mic.com/articles/113620/40-y...ike#.L9Qay09TI
    It's my guess that many of these women are financially dependent on their husbands.

I'm well aware that feminists have made a lot of gains since the seventies. A couple of years before I bought my first property, lending institution were still requiring male co-signers on mortgage loans. And that was just one of many inequities we've overcome. But there is work left to do.

Some people are just depressed, maybe only a little, maybe a lot (telling a depressed person to smile doesn't seem helpful to me, you also don't know what is going on in their life). Some people merely tend to be serious or lost in thought (which isn't going to present as happy, but isn't actually necessarily unhappy! It's just kind of elsewhere, but I think it reads as unhappy to outside observers). Some people just have unhappy looking faces. They can't help it, they just do.

I think I smile when it's inappropriate, several times in my life I have been told I smile when telling the worst memories etc.. Yea I did learn to please early as a child.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I'm glad you cleared that up; it's always helpful to get a man's take on an issue that overwhelmingly affects women.
    That was written by a woman, so, whatever....
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I never saw the sexist (or sexual) content of being asked to smile though, I took it on a par with how introverts are sometimes asked to talk more, yea, yea I get it already, so I have been told all my life, my personality type is not the social ideal ... blah, blah, whatever.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Yes, but you're not a man. If you were it would obviously be some sort of patriarchal power play because, well, I'm not sure why.
    Very true, I am not a man. Never have been and never want to be - just happy with the gender God made me (yes, that is what I believe). I must be old. I appreciate a compliment from a man. I appreciate it when a gentleman holds the door open for me. I appreciate it when the young man at the feed store offers to carry a 40# bag of chicken feed to the truck for me. I don’t mind it when people say ‘you should’ to me, such as ‘you should move faster so that falling cement block does not hit you on the head’. ‘You should lose weight’, while may be true, is a little personal but I don’t mind because I do need to lose 10#. I’m not easily offended and I don’t get a lot of the extreme sensitivity exhibited by many in today’s world.

Yup, I am old. I remember the (late) 50’s and can attest that things are very different today based on experience and a good memory. Time to start dinner for my husband who will be home from work shortly.

Are you assuming the gender of the author?

The Washington Post article, from which that quote comes, was written by Michael Alison Chandler. From the bio on the WP website:

"Michael Alison Chandler writes about families, gender and religion. In recent years, she has also covered education across the Washington region.

The Ohio native has lived on both coasts. She has a graduate degree from the U.C. Berkeley School of Journalism. Now she lives in the District with her husband and two children."

"Are you assuming the gender of the author?"

I'm assuming that Alan quoted it because he agreed with it.

I'm assuming that Alan quoted it because he agreed with it.
    I'll never tell, I've finally gotten old enough and experienced enough to know better than share an opinion on matters of sex, race, religion or the relative merits of feminism. But, quoting others and seeing the response is just as fun.

Thread Information