Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying a boat

Buying a boat

I’m in the process of buying a boat. I had know idea that it would be much of a hassle. I first researched on what brand and type I wanted, then started looking. A new one was out of the question, there is a 2 year wait and ballpark prices are $400,000.

So I started looking at used, evidently no one is aware that the economy is looking bad. But I finally find what I want over at West Palm Beach, the other side of the state. I am now waiting for a pre purchase inspection, or survey. The people that do this are evidently swamped, so I’m hoping that they can get to it before my contract expires. Or hopefully the lawyer I’m buying it from will give me a little more time.

i found a interesting tidbit, I called the manufacturer to find out the weight of the boat for transport. They sent me the original work orders, specs, even pictures of this actual boat before shipping. The original owners name was on the work order so I of coarse googled it. Evidently he owned a electric company in Ohio and cooked the books a bit, was fined a few million and also had to pay the irs another few million. Also got close to 3 years jail time.

maybe he shouldn’t have named the boat Renagade.

You do know the happiest days of boat owners are the days they buy the boat and the day they sell! LOL

I'll delete this in 24 hours, but couldn't resist posting this of our maiden voyage for 2020 on our boat on Lake Champlain just last night. Tradd, I fought DH tooth and nail over this purchase 3 years ago. It was a financially stupid decision--the stupidest ever, but I have to admit we've enjoyed it so far. DH/DS fishes off of it, and I swim off of it. (But if it were up to me, I'd sell it in a second)

IMG_1449.jpg
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Since our new house is on the water, I told the wife it was required. I’m scheduled for a new dock and boat lift also. My contractor said it would be 90 days before they can start. That was 4/15, he’s busy and permits are slow. I’m having them remove the old dock and lift and replacing with new. I’ll have 76’ of concrete plus lift. Power and water is there and I also have underwater lights sitting in the garage, waiting to be installed.

the boat cost more than my plane, but at least I won’t have hangar rental.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    You do know the happiest days of boat owners are the days they buy the boat and the day they sell! LOL
    This is not my first boat, but my last boat was just a 27’ sailboat. I bought it locally and sold it locally. It never moved from its slip.

This boat is primarily set up for fishing offshore, but the build sheet mentions storage or holders for dive tanks. I think I’ll start off with a snorkel.

Catherine, that looks SO fun!

dmc, when we get to Maine, we are getting a sailboat (My husband doesn't know that yet.)

My folks owned a summer resort and we had a speed boat we used daily. It was so fun. If you live on water you will use it.

That is so cool, Terry. I remember being out on Marco Island on a motorboat in 1962 and the guy letting me drive the boat--I was six years old.

I guess that's one of those things that people don't really do anymore.

I just want a kayak. or a paddleboat.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

It’s so fun to drive them as a kid). My mom went back to work and bought it with her money. It was used and wooden. You couldn’t waterski because being wood it couldn’t go fast enough quickly to pull the skier up.

Thread Information