Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Auto collision insurance?

  1. #1
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    9,910

    Auto collision insurance?

    Background: we did not have collision insurance on our small truck, DH was hit in the rear by a driver with insurance, the guy's insurance company "totaled" our truck. DH was not hurt. We will keep the truck and get it fixed. We did all negotiations with hitter's insurance company since our own insurance guy was not involved because we had no collision insurance with him. All that is well and good.

    Here is my question:

    How does personal injury work in this situation where (theoretically) I am hurt in a car crash, I have no collision insurance, I am hit by someone who has no car insurance. ? I mean, who negotiates issues?

    I do not want to be in a situation where I am physically impaired and I have no one working to negotiate a settlement. Over a third of the drivers in St. Louis are uninsured.

    Of course, I realize that getting a court judgement against one of these uninsured jerks, and collecting from them, are two different things.

  2. #2
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    9,910
    Added: i could ask my insurance guy this, and perhaps I will, but I expect him to talk up how I should buy collision insurance to guard against all of the uninsured idiots because he wants to sell me insurance, which is expensive due to all of the uninsured idiots around here.

  3. #3
    Moderator Float On's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    By a lake in MO
    Posts
    3,782
    We've always carried collision...just in case. Not sure the stats in SWMO but 2 out of the 4 accidents we've had were with uninsured drivers and both times it was their fault. It use to be our insurance company was good about going after the uninsured or other party. No so anymore. Last accident I had I had to do all the footwork and calls even though it was his fault and we both had full-coverage. The one time we were in an accident and it was our fault (we both had injuries and totaled cars) I never heard a peep from our insurance other than "it's taken care of" when I'd ask about the other party.

    Glad your DH wasn't insured in his accident.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

  4. #4
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,727
    I would look at the terms and conditions of your policy. Your insurance company would negotiate for you and even ensure your damages were paid if your liability policy included un-insured/under-insured coverage.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,579
    I can't get my train of thoughts out quite right, right now. Do you have someone who in your state, oversee's insurance? You could ask them, but in our state (MO), we are required to have liability insurance, which includes personal injury. Comprehensive, ONLY covers the vehicle repairs, TO THE VEHICLE IT BELONGS TO. Collision, covers the other persons vehicle. (your paying to make them whole, not you) Then there is uninsured motorist, which I believe covers your medical if you are hit by one, but only the medical. I do not believe they act as a subrogate and make you whole (vehicle and medical) and go after the uninsured motorist.

    Edit: Not sure when your talking St. Louis, if your talking MO, or East St. Louis, Illinois

  6. #6
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    9,910
    Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    I can't get my train of thoughts out quite right, right now. Do you have someone who in your state, oversee's insurance? You could ask them, but in our state (MO), we are required to have liability insurance, which includes personal injury. Comprehensive, ONLY covers the vehicle repairs, TO THE VEHICLE IT BELONGS TO. Collision, covers the other persons vehicle. (your paying to make them whole, not you) Then there is uninsured motorist, which I believe covers your medical if you are hit by one, but only the medical. I do not believe they act as a subrogate and make you whole (vehicle and medical) and go after the uninsured motorist.

    Edit: Not sure when your talking St. Louis, if your talking MO, or East St. Louis, Illinois
    just fyi, you, me, and Floaton are in the same state, Missouri.

    One third of the drivers in. st. louis are not insured, the laws mean nothing.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,579
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    just fyi, you, me, and Floaton are in the same state, Missouri.

    One third of the drivers in. st. louis are not insured, the laws mean nothing.
    Then the response I am aware of by LEO's, is ANY accident they are involved in while driving, is immediately their fault. Looked upon similarly to DWI.

    When I was 16, there was no required insurance law. Since that time it has come into effect and they must be able to prove they have insurance when they license, and sign an affidavit that they will have insurance when operating a motor vehicle. (if not, they are immediately in contempt of court)
    When I was 18, I had a friend who was going to become a cop, who ended up leaving school to recover/relearn to walk. He had an uninsured motorist, that was pushed into him by an elderly couple who switched lanes without looking. They clipped the uninsured van and pushed it into him. The elderly couple was expected to loose their home and all, due to the cost of his medical (legs and one arm through the dash). The last I saw him (back in High school, close to my last day), he was walking, with two canes, like a 80 year old. His life changed forever)
    The typical uninsured I am aware of (know two instances, one involved me being hit), they try to drive away, or if caught, fail to appear in court and try to hide from all process servers.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,712
    Maybe I'm not understanding the question but back in Texas we were required to purchase "uninsured motorists" coverage for such instances since there are so many drivers without insurance. Why is that I wonder?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,579
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Background: we did not have collision insurance on our small truck, DH was hit in the rear by a driver with insurance, the guy's insurance company "totaled" our truck. DH was not hurt. We will keep the truck and get it fixed. We did all negotiations with hitter's insurance company since our own insurance guy was not involved because we had no collision insurance with him. All that is well and good.

    Here is my question:

    How does personal injury work in this situation where (theoretically) I am hurt in a car crash, I have no collision insurance, I am hit by someone who has no car insurance. ? I mean, who negotiates issues?
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Maybe I'm not understanding the question but back in Texas we were required to purchase "uninsured motorists" coverage for such instances since there are so many drivers without insurance. Why is that I wonder?
    Uninsured motorist for bodily injury is required in MO, and will pay your medical up to the points required.
    I did find a link of interest:
    http://dor.mo.gov/drivers/insurinfo.php

  10. #10
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    9,910
    Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Uninsured motorist for bodily injury is required in MO, and will pay your medical up to the points required.
    I did find a link of interest:
    http://dor.mo.gov/drivers/insurinfo.php
    Ah, thank you, so we probably have that coverage with our liability coverage. What Alan said, read my policy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •