Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Auto collision insurance?

Finally got around to dropping collision/comp on our 10 yr old Honda. Statement came today and they raised the liability premium by 20% for some reason. I guess because they can. We aren't even driving anymore with all the poop going on. There is no getting a break with insurance companies.

PT, call them and threaten to leave. I shop for cheaper rates every 2 years and then ask them to match. If they don’t I switch.

Our insurance company (Safeco) said they would be giving policyholders a modest rebate on our auto insurance since much less driving is translating to far fewer claims.

State farm has emailed me that I'll be getting $28. I will be calling my agent next week to ask if they will also be reducing my renewal (6 months, starting 5/1) by that amount as well. My auto policy has had price creep from $250 for six months six years ago to just under $400 for six months now. Our renters and umbrella policy have both gone down a few bucks. $160/year and $130/year respectively. I dread moving everything because of the hassle of finding all three policies, making sure I'm not losing coverage, and the general fact that I LOVED the way state farm dealt with the one car accident we have had. (not our fault. state farm paid out because we have collision but then geico, the other guy's insurance, took responsibility so state farm and I got fully reimbursed.)

Rebate from the auto club too. I have AAA for insurance, easy to deal with. I've shopped around at times, only to find that noone was all that cheaper, might as well deal with a company that's easy to deal with like the auto club has been.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I dread moving everything because of the hassle of finding all three policies, making sure I'm not losing coverage, and the general fact that I LOVED the way state farm dealt with the one car accident we have had
    Check out an independent insurance broker. Typically they represent a few dozen companies, some of which offer auto/home/umbrella. They do the comparisons, they know which companies handle claims well (they don't want the hassle of a crummy company because it reflects on them), and the prices are at least competitive with the highly-advertised national brands. If you belong to a credit union, they likely also offer insurance (or cooperate with a company that does); that should come at a decent price and offer good claim service.

We went with a broker a couple of years ago, knowing that in retail insurance, if you don't move around every couple of years, you just get -- well, ripped off. With a broker it's likely we'll find another company without having to go through the whole search process and all of the paperwork. Still call the same office, still work with the same people.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I am using a broker and current insurance is Safeco. I have made several attempts to comparison shop but the whole process drives me nuts.

I suppose we should invest time in shopping around, or at least using a broker. It’s just that we have two properties and five vehicles to insure, it seems like a lot, although our real estate needs are more simple these days since we no longer have the tiny houses with liability only coverage. Apparently those liability -only policies were hard to find , and our insurance guy went to another underwriter for it.

Oh, also – I’m pretty sure we have earthquake insurance on our St. Louis house and you can’t get that anymore.

I remember that we got a reduction in auto insurance some years ago when we turned a magic age, maybe it was 55? Maybe 60?, And then, we got a rebate on our Hermann house when they learned it had asbestos siding rather than conventional siding. They like asbestos siding, it is hail proof.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 4-18-20 at 2:18pm.

Sometimes you don't need to move to a new company. We switched agents due to the first one retiring. He suggested we allow for monitoring of our usage over about 3-4 months and due to our usage and driving quality, they reduced our insurance 40%. Just a review of our current situation, retired, got us a first reduction and the 40% was in addition. Make your agent work for you too.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    Make your agent work for you too.
    Excellent advice. I tried that with our previous company (captive agent) and he trimmed and nicked but really didn't do anything beyond "pay less; get less". I do expect our broker to do that work (he did to get our business in the first place; that's what they get paid for -- though some offices may have to be prodded to do what they're supposed to). IL, two properties and five vehicles are not that many. Anybody with a cabin has two properties. I have two properties in our house and my rental. Writing for the vehicles will be a fair amount of copy-and-paste work, but, again, that's what the folks in the insurance agent are paid to do (unless you go on-line with something like Progressive or esurance; then you do it).
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information