Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I biked to work for the first time today!

I biked to work for the first time today!

I biked to work for the first time today. I live only about 3 miles from my office, and it's a fairly straight shot on mostly residential streets (except the last part which is a bit city). I'm not a very confident bike rider, having learned late, and I'm very proud of myself. It's a beautiful day in South Florida, sunny and warm but not hot. I've been mulling the idea over (to bike to work) for over a year now, and I'm glad I finally took the bike by the handles and did it. I went in late to avoid traffic. I'm not in the best shape, and I got a bit sweaty, but I have no meetings today.

Only thing was that I forgot the bike lock. Hahaha. But luckily, I was able to take the bike up the service elevator and bring it into my office.

Hurrah!

Good for you! I hope to do that soon---we're just coming out of freezing weather. The days will soon be longer, too.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I loved riding to work on my bike. It was about the same distance. I would arrive so invigorated. Unfortunately, sometimes in the evening it was exhausting coming home, (more uphill and already tired) and that never got better. I had to be a very defensive rider. The streets here are not set up for bicycle commuting.

TVRodriguez:
    Did you ride again and again??

After my brief visit to south Florida last year, I do not even want to drive in that traffic, let alone bike in it.

My brother stopped riding his motorcycle to work in Iowa. Too many close calls with drivers distracted by their phones.

I ride a good amount of miles yearly shooting for 4,000 this year. I have had so many close calls that make my hair on arms stand up. For me the worst drivers are parents getting kids to school. Older folks who feel bikes no matter what do not belong on roads. But yes cell phone usage is the worse. I run and walk also, two summers ago I knocked down by a car exiting a driveway. I saw the driver and I assumed he saw me...he did but figured he had the right of way I guess. I ride defensively all the time expecting the drivers do not see me. I claim my lane, but know when it is best to wait it out instead. DOGS are my biggest fear to be honest. I can hear the clink of the tags a mile away, I carry mace and an air horn. Air horns scare dogs.

But I love biking

Good for you, TV! Yes, it's all in location when it comes to biking in Sunny Fla. Glad you found a safe route! I bet you will really come to enjoy it. Yay!

Update on my Airhorns scare dogs line. Last week two ladies were about 50 ft infant of me and a dog came barreling out of the woods, jumped on one lady, screamed but did not tip over. I grabbed my horn as I knew I was next. I put horn down arm length and blasted as dog came at me. NOTHING, the dog was not phased. There went my sense of false security out the window

Lucky this dog was a young Lab and really just was playing, but it was very scary and the owner heard and called. Now I am adding dog treats to toss and maybe this will deter for a moment.

Pepper spray.

Got it and Grizzly Bear spray, I guess that's why I don't have a gun, afraid to use it unless.... probably too late.

Thread Information