Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Excited about new binoculars

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,467

    Excited about new binoculars

    We were birding in TX recently and I was asking everyone about their binoculars. I found out that WI has Eagle Optics which sells lifetime warranty binoculars. We went today and I am totally impressed. We looked through a number of binoculars and surprisingly liked the ones that were low end. Lifetime warranty, fog and water proof, 18mm eye relief. Great for the money. I am tickled. We are planning a trip to Alaska later in the year and can't wait to try them out!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    284
    I must say I am I am impressed at the birding you will be doing TX, WI and Alaska! Your bird log must be a wonderful read!

    I have only one pair of binoculars and must tell you about them for a laugh as they will nothing compared to your great set. My dad's army issue set from 1950. They sat in the lovely leather and velvet lined case on the shelf to spot birds in the yard since then. He gave them to me last year. I thought I was going to be a millionaire as they must be worth a great deal. I looked them up and I can buy as many sets as I want off eBay for $25. Guess every service man was issued them in that era!. Now they sit on my shelf to spot bird in the back yard.

  3. #3
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    6,674
    I got some of those a while back to place in vehicles for investigating troublesome situations from a safe distance, and they have been a good value and held up to rattling around in rumbly trucks just fine.

  4. #4
    Senior Member CathyA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    7,953
    I would like to find binocs that I can leave on my cart through the seasons, if in a protective box. One in the car would be nice too, since I'm always seeing things everywhere that I would like to see up closer. A couple weeks ago I saw (I think) my first Northern Harrier in a field, while coming back from town. Would have been great to have my binocs with me. So many times I could have used them in the car or on my cart, but I worry about keeping them in heat.
    How cool, frugal one, that you're birding in TX!! I love birding!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,467
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I got some of those a while back to place in vehicles for investigating troublesome situations from a safe distance, and they have been a good value and held up to rattling around in rumbly trucks just fine.
    Which ones? ... army issue or Eagle Optics

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,467
    Quote Originally Posted by BikingLady View Post
    I must say I am I am impressed at the birding you will be doing TX, WI and Alaska! Your bird log must be a wonderful read!

    I have only one pair of binoculars and must tell you about them for a laugh as they will nothing compared to your great set. My dad's army issue set from 1950. They sat in the lovely leather and velvet lined case on the shelf to spot birds in the yard since then. He gave them to me last year. I thought I was going to be a millionaire as they must be worth a great deal. I looked them up and I can buy as many sets as I want off eBay for $25. Guess every service man was issued them in that era!. Now they sit on my shelf to spot bird in the back yard.
    I would be tickled too to receive such a gift. Bet they are wonderful!

  7. #7
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    6,674
    Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Which ones? ... army issue or Eagle Optics
    The Eagle Optics - a fellow at the local camera/binocular store recommended them to me when I laid out to him my inexpensive-yet-robust requirements. The optical quality is pretty decent as well.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Ultralight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    7,126
    Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    We were birding in TX recently and I was asking everyone about their binoculars. I found out that WI has Eagle Optics which sells lifetime warranty binoculars. We went today and I am totally impressed. We looked through a number of binoculars and surprisingly liked the ones that were low end. Lifetime warranty, fog and water proof, 18mm eye relief. Great for the money. I am tickled. We are planning a trip to Alaska later in the year and can't wait to try them out!
    Sounds like a great item to augment adventures and getaways!
    I came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand." -- Rodney Dangerfield

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,986
    I recall going on a birding by boat trip at the Texas coast one fall and the boat was outfitted with all kinds of binocs. Eagle Optics was a favorite.

  10. #10
    Senior Member CathyA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    7,953
    Frugal-one..........When they say fog proof, does that mean you can bring them out of air conditioning into a really humid/hot day and the lens won't fog up? That would be great. Sometimes in the summer I see something neat out my window and run out with the binocs, and then I can't see out of them for awhile.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •