Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stats on Front of Digiorno Pizza Box

Stats on Front of Digiorno Pizza Box

We usually get the Freshetta frozen cheese pizza and put on lots of spinach, onion, and sometimes red pepper. I wanted a change, so I bought the Digiorno 4 cheese pizza.

It's really good (with the stuff I add). I decided to look closely at the stats on the front of the box. Many products now have across the bottom Calories, Fat, sodium, etc. Well, this said a serving is 1/4 of the pizza. But it said "5 g sat fat".
    At first I thought to myself "This can't be right.......1/2 of the pizza would only have 10 g of fat (which is what DH and I would eat each). Then I looked at the back of the box and it said "Total fat 13 g" per 1/4 pizza. Hmmmm......then I realized that they were only advertising on the front of the box, the amount of saturated fat. I think most people would look at that and think that's the total fat in 1/4 of the pizza.
    Anyhow.....my point is, it's no doubt a legal way to try to mislead the consumer as to the amount of fat in it. So.......when DH and I each eat half, we're getting a total of 26 g of fat. (But it was really good......)

Conventional AMerican style pizza isnt worth the calories.

I do like artisan flatbread pizzas, though. They are mich lower on calories and higher on unique tastes.

I like the California Pizza kitchen white/spinach pizza. Not sure about the fat, will have to check.

I just make my own. The most pizza I've made in one night is 18. It was the boys graduation party from high school. I'm now called "mama(lastname)" because I'm famous among that crowd for my pizza skills. Thankfully that age group didn't care about fat or calories.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Occasionally, I get take-out from Pizza Hut. There's an online pizza war going on. A few weeks ago, I got a large hand-tossed Veggie Lovers pizza for only $7.00. But then I blew it by ordering a pan if brownies!....which was almost as much as the pizza!
    For many years, DH would bring home a Papa Murphy's thin crust veggie pizza, but it's nice for him not to have to go pick it up. So mostly I buy frozen cheese ones and dress them up.

But back to the info on the front of the Digiorno box......I'm not sure people pay much attention to the fat in pizzas. I do make some lower fat ones for DD who is a vegan. I get the brown rice tortilla shells and just use pizza sauce and veggies. It's pretty good.

Probably when I was working I wouldn't go through the extra time, but pizza crust is so easy I just do it myself. I can use a little whole wheat flour in the recipe and one batch makes two pizzas that each serve two, so I can freeze the dough for a second. I am mostly vegan so i add a little fake cheese, but the toppings can be more imaginative. Dobs of winter squash, eggplant, kidney beans, and kale have been successes. Some times I substitute pesto (frozen from the garden) for tomato sauce. My grocery stocks fat free feta and I've been know to break the vegan rules and use feta.

I'm with iris lilies. I like flatbread pizza, and of course, being a Vermonter wannabe, my choice is American Flatbread if I'm going the frozen route. When I visit the kids, we always go to Flatbread (in fact, my son's rehearsal dinner was at the ORIGINAL American Flatbread in Waitsfield, VT! It was great! and we had enough pizza left over to bring back to the hotel and eat the next morning--I love cold pizza for breakfast.)

OTOH, for take-out, DH loves Papa John's, and I really, really do not like it. It's way too sweet.

I think the fat is what makes pizza so craveable. It's such a nice combination of protein, carbs and fat.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Mostly, my initial post was about the manipulation of info on the front of the box. We really have to do the math and really scrutinize the info on the box......especially the back, to get the truth.

I make Fat Head pizza dough, which is gluten-free and filling, if not exactly like the real thing. But I do read labels carefully when looking at processed foods. It's eye-opening.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I make Fat Head pizza dough, which is gluten-free and filling, if not exactly like the real thing. But I do read labels carefully when looking at processed foods. It's eye-opening.
    Jane, I looked up the recipe for this --very interesting, and when I am going gluten light I will try it!

https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/reci...recipe=2559405

Thread Information