Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Egg recipes

Egg recipes

Any new egg recipes? Several stores gave out free dozen eggs with a small purchase.

I am overstocked on eggs right now.

boiled, omelet, fried, scrambled and in baked goods.

I also have made impossible quiche type recipes.

Anything else?

I make 'fancy eggs' a lazy omelet.

spray with non-stick spray, cook whatever you like of the following chopped very small, peppers, zucchini or yellow squash, onion, spinach. When spinach is all wilted add a couple eggs and scramble. When done sprinkle some cheese on top.

I also make a potato chive frittata. That is a great way to use a lot of eggs and you can eat it cold the next day for lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    I make 'fancy eggs' a lazy omelet.

spray with non-stick spray, cook whatever you like of the following chopped very small, peppers, zucchini or yellow squash, onion, spinach. When spinach is all wilted add a couple eggs and scramble. When done sprinkle some cheese on top.

I also make a potato chive frittata. That is a great way to use a lot of eggs and you can eat it cold the next day for lunch.
    Sounds like the kind of omelet I make - I just call it it a cheapskate omelet, I like your name for it better though.

Scotch Eggs?

I make canape sized one with quail's eggs.

I make ice cream.

french toast? Bread pudding? Soufflé?

French toast, Croque Monsieur ( ham and cheese sandwich, dipped in eggs like French toast ) custard, rice pudding, corn pudding

Egg with rice, egg with beans.

We make a variation on bi bim bap, which is a Korean dish. For each serving, put a scoop of cooked rice in the bottom of a bowl. Arrange things around it ... a couple of tablespoons each of steamed greens, bean sprouts, chopped cucumber, cooked mushrooms, leftovers from last night's dinner... and top with a soft-poached egg. If you like hot food, put a good amount of hot sauce under the egg. Stir it all together and that is it. If you wish, you can add some hot broth and make it more of a soup. (This is not an authentic way to make bibimbap, which is a terrific thing to order in Korean restaurants, but it's similar. The hot sauce in Korean restaurants is truly hot so be prepared.)

We also serve poached eggs on baked beans, with salsa under the egg.

Great ideas here. Yes, I have done the French toast.

I have never made custard or bread pudding - I need recipes.

In other news, I got a coupon for another free dozen in the mail today. It is good through the end of the month so no hurry.

I looked at the possibility of freezing the eggs in ice cube trays. Never have done it though. It says to add salt or sugar. I don't do sodium and haven't bought any sugar in years. I know eggs are good several weeks past the sale by date though.

Quote Originally Posted by 19Sandy View Post
    Great ideas here. Yes, I have done the French toast.

I have never made custard or bread pudding - I need recipes.

In other news, I got a coupon for another free dozen in the mail today. It is good through the end of the month so no hurry.

I looked at the possibility of freezing the eggs in ice cube trays. Never have done it though. It says to add salt or sugar. I don't do sodium and haven't bought any sugar in years. I know eggs are good several weeks past the sale by date though.
    Custard is really easy to make. I make it for my Mom quite often. Here's a technique, rather than a recipe:

Mix about a tablespoon of cornstarch into about a quarter cup of sugar. (I suppose one can make custard without sugar -- I haven't done so, since Mom likes sweet custards.) Once it's well mixed, add about half a cup of cold milk and stir until there are no lumps.

Put a couple of cups of milk in a pot, and add 2-3 eggs. Whisk or mix with a fork, same as you would do for french toast. Pour in the milk/starch/sugar mixture.

Stir constantly, more or less, on low heat. It will start to thicken after a few minutes. If you're not a devoted stirrer, cook it in a double boiler. Burnt custard is very nasty.

Note that I am a "suspenders and a belt" person when it comes to custard -- I add cornstarch as well as the eggs for thickening. You can do it without the cornstarch, though you might need more eggs and would certainly need to cook it longer. I am not such a patient person as all that.

Sandy, put the eggs in enough cold water to cover then about an inch deep if the are standing on end.

if they lay on their sides, they are fresh. As they age, they will tip up because they slowly loose water through the shell and the air bubble inside gets larger. Eggs that stand on end need to be cooked right away. Eggs that float are bad. I use a pot tipped at an angle - any standing egg that doesn't slide downhill I toss.

much more accurate than dates because dates don't take storage and handling into account.

Thread Information