Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: March purge

March purge

Dd1 came by last night and took home two baby gates from the basement to contain her new dog.

Because recording outs isn't meaningful without keeping track on ins, I have to also confess to accepting two needlepoint kits and a stack of 25 largish plastic garden pots so far this month. The garden pots are intended for a class I'm teaching next year.

Cast iron panini pan with press OUT this week to a guy at work who is thrilled. Also a baby quilt for his new princess

Every time I open a cupboard or drawer I assess contents. It's been a way of life for going on 2 decades. I keep a box at the ready for "gotta go" items. Current contents: baggie of bookmarks-really how many does a girl need?, a large saltine cracker tin-we hardly eat a saltine, a wok that I just can't seem to make friends with/the stovetop ring it sits upon (very disappointing because I really want it to work for me!)

A toaster oven, an extra toaster, and some clothes out to the Goodwill last week. Still waiting for retirement in 2 months to begin the big clothes purge.

I pitched about 20 items of clothing. I set aside another 5 for possibly wearing one more season, and then I will give them to Goodwill. The items I pitched were worn, stained, the end of the line. It always makes me mad to find stained items at Goodwill.

Goodwill (at least here) recycles unwearable clothing. I'm sure some stained or damaged items sneak through, but they try to sort them out.

I always figure it's buyer beware and that I have a higher stake in checking the item over.

if you wanted to, you could check if your goodwill recycles and then rip or slice the item to be sure it isn't accidentally put out on the rack....

I returned three pairs of pants to a store today and gave away an old sandbox and a play kitchen of my daughter's (with her permission). Total for month so far: 5.

A play kitchen takes up a lot of space!

Almost forgot: an old and very stained leather couch was picked up by bulk trash last week. We have quarterly bulk trash pickup that's curbside - great for bulky items like this, plus the scavengers also cherry-pick the good stuff so it doesn't all go to the landfill.

A neighboring city does it a little differently: their city places a huge dumpster at the end of the street and residents can toss in their old TVs, etc. Same idea, just not curbside.

I was remembering all of the toys that used to be in my house, I still have a couple in boxes but yes those big play kitchens and such take up space! My apartment used to be crowded with all that stuff!

I did clean out the junk drawer in the kitchen today while cooking a big Sunday meal.

One less hour today, and I feel totally behind in my goals. About the time my body and mind is accustomed to daylight savings, it changes again.

Today I attacked my stuff stored in my cousin's basement. My childhood Breyer horses from the 70s and 80s are going to the 4H tack swap with my barn's owner to be sold. Took a few decent pictures of them and feel OK about it. I only kept two (hopefully selling four). Also got my wooden blocks that I loved as a child, and my vintage wooden Tinkertoy set. Hopefully someone will enjoy and appreciate such simple toys, whenever I can sell them.

I looked through a lot of other things as well, but still truly love all of them (mostly decorative things) so will be keeping them for now. The childhood stuff is a big step for me. Other things will be donated if I can't sell them.

Thread Information