Thread: A Basic Emergency here

A Basic Emergency here

Because of constant rain, our house has had 8 inches of water under it after running our sump pump- 24/7 for a month. Our septic tank is under water. We got a portapotty. We have been going to the laundromat for a month. Does anyone know how we could hook a temporary greywater connection to our washer and out the back door in order to do laundry? This would just be until we can use the septic again. It is rain as far as we can see (we are in Florence, Oregon about a mile from the beach) and it will be a long time till we can use the septic. Any advice would be wonderful. This is getting old. Thanks for any help.

I think I would start by Googling the make and model of your washer, then go directly to images. What you're looking for is the secondary drain, you know, the one to drain the machine if the first fails. In the old days (I'm dating myself here, I'm sure) you could attach a garden hose to that drain.

Alternatively, search YouTube, again with make and model, and Drain. Some one has done this before you, hopefully they recorded and shared it!

Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

(PS My brother keeps looking at properties in Florence, I keep saying: Careful!)

I am not aware of this secondary drain part, as I figured that was to drain for servicing the machine.
    That said, if you can tell how many gallons of water it dumps, you will need a storage device of more then that device, and another sump pump and some pvc pipe to pump the water out.

Couldn't you just attach a hose to the washer's drain hose and run it out the door? I know the washer's drain hose doesn't have a fitting on the end, but I think I could MacGyver something if I had to.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information