Thread: bento style lunches

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

bento style lunches

It has been super warm this winter so my usual soups and other warm foods are not interesting at all. So I have been looking up bowls and bento style lunches recently, here is my week lunch plan (suggestions or sharing all welcome). I was thinking of Ultralite and his healthy plan, and these are healthy so we can brainstorm the best@

* udon noodle salad, baked spicy tofu, cutie orange
    * brie, crackers, olives, and small salad of fancy greens
    * turkey cheese roll-up, soft cheese on celery, cookie
    * quinoa salad (like couscous), pita, hummus, olives, red pepper slices
    * 'lunchable' cheese and crackers, popcorn, raw vegies,

I actually want to try bento. But the thing is, I am not really creative when it comes to food styling. I really do not know how it will look like.

Bento doesn't have to have cute faces on the rice balls. Just a mix of colors and textures is good. I often use various leftovers. I typically use a box with dividers, but silicone cupcake molds work too, to keep items separate.

You can also learn about western version Bento not necessarilly do rice balls or sushi like meals too. There are egg dishes , noodles, hot dogs , cheese and mac etc.

I tried researching bento and it looks time consuming. Japanese housewives are expected to pack their husbands/ childrens bento boxes with intricate dishes and all. You can look up on youtube and learn visually. Sometimes it can be simple just make it colorful= cut it up interestingly ,etc. In any case if you like being crafty with food,its an awesome concept!

I am surprised there isn't a reality/competition show about bento boxes. I can't imagine spending so much time making those but they are great looking.

I've watched a few videos on youtube about the pressure on Japanese moms to make the best bento lunch box. Crazy stuff.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Giving whole new meaning and an international flavor to the "mommy wars."

My fake-ish bento lunches are just a way to pack a lunch that does not need to be heated up, and is not just another regular salad. They may be attractive but not that pretty! Okay I did used to cut my kids sandwiches into dinosaur shapes with a cookie cutter.

If I was really rich when my kids were little I would have probably done this or hired someone to do it.

Thread Information