Thread: New to this

New to this

Greetings,

I actually joined weeks ago, but I didn't get around to actually posting here. I was resistant to change and kept second-guessing and asking if I really wanted to do this. I do. If there's one area in my life I want to simplify, it's my diet. All the biggest shopping binges are related to food. I always go for tastiest whether or not I can really afford to. Sometimes I have fridge and a cupboard full of food and still I go and buy something else when I feel like eating. I buy all this healthier stuff, but when it's time to cook, I don't fancy it and get something else instead. Eating out several times a week is also money-consuming. Another vice is buying a lot of music and movies even when I lack the time to listen/watch them.

The plan is actually make a lot of changes. I've become more interested in ethical consumerism and environmental issues. I want to go vegetarian and start preferring local food. There's also a health aspect. The tastiest stuff often isn't the healthiest. Money is a big factor, as well. A couple of years ago my hedonist lifestyle resulted in money troubles and I don't want to ever feel that desperate again. Ironically, just when I joined here I got a big inheritance, which removed the financial pressure to change. Nevertheless, I actually feel more motivated than ever to change it. That old lifestyle was simply unsustainable in every sense of the word.

Now that I actually wrote that, it seems awfully simple. Let's see how it goes in practice.

Hi, welcome!

Don't try to change everything at once. Pick one area and see if you can make a few changes this week - and don't plan what you are NOT going to do, plan what you ARE going to do.

instead of going to places where you buy music and movies (even if those "places" are on-line) - respond to that urge by watching or listening to something you haven't enjoyed for a while.

or look through your cupboards and plan (when you are not hungry) meals for the week - including small amounts of those "taste good" foods you have on hand. Use as much as possible of the food you already have in the house, limit yourself to only fruit or vegetable additions maybe. Schedule the time to do the cooking and respect that "appointment" as non-negotiable.

it's all a journey.

Sounds like you're in the right place here, Chavez! You'll get a lot of inspiration from people here who have the same aspirations to eat simply and healthily (and cheaply).

Happy to hear that your financial pressures have been lifted--You'll also be inspired to learn how to resist falling into bad habits.

Welcome!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Welcome, Chavez! You are not alone in your challenges, struggles, regrets, and fears. Many here have been able to make massive changes--some very quickly, some over time. The pace of change doesn't matter--just that you keep going, nearly inevitable backslides and all. The people on this forum have helped me do a 180 with my life and my consumption habits, and I (and the planet) are much better off for it. Welcome again!

Yppej
    Welcome. I am also trying to eat mindfully. It feels so much better than falling into automatic pilot.

Quote Originally Posted by Chavez View Post
    Greetings,

I actually joined weeks ago, but I didn't get around to actually posting here. I was resistant to change and kept second-guessing and asking if I really wanted to do this. I do. If there's one area in my life I want to simplify, it's my diet. All the biggest shopping binges are related to food. I always go for tastiest whether or not I can really afford to. Sometimes I have fridge and a cupboard full of food and still I go and buy something else when I feel like eating. I buy all this healthier stuff, but when it's time to cook, I don't fancy it and get something else instead. Eating out several times a week is also money-consuming. Another vice is buying a lot of music and movies even when I lack the time to listen/watch them.

The plan is actually make a lot of changes. I've become more interested in ethical consumerism and environmental issues. I want to go vegetarian and start preferring local food. There's also a health aspect. The tastiest stuff often isn't the healthiest. Money is a big factor, as well. A couple of years ago my hedonist lifestyle resulted in money troubles and I don't want to ever feel that desperate again. Ironically, just when I joined here I got a big inheritance, which removed the financial pressure to change. Nevertheless, I actually feel more motivated than ever to change it. That old lifestyle was simply unsustainable in every sense of the word.

Now that I actually wrote that, it seems awfully simple. Let's see how it goes in practice.
    Welcome, friend!

Welcome. It's interesting to me that food is one of your major "splurges" that you're trying to change and reign in. That's how I got started on this path years ago. I read Your Money Or Your Life and started tracking my spending as suggested in the early part of the book and was stunned at the end of the first month to see how much money was going out the window for lunches bought during the day while I was at work. I wasn't enjoying them. It was simply the need to eat 'something' and I hadn't brought food from home. Starting with that category I was able to change my habits and bring leftovers from dinner the night before with relatively little pain or inconvenience and that category of spending dropped quickly, setting me up to look at other areas for improvement. I still spend a fair amount on dinners out with my SO and friends, but that is for me entertainment. I enjoy it because I enjoy spending time with them. It's not just eating because I'm hungry. So I'm ok with the amount of my life energy spent that way.

And it's great to hear that you're approaching this now after receiving a windfall, not after you've blown through it and have nothing to show for it other than a few new movies and songs to listen to. WOrking now to get spending under control so that you can save that money for bigger picture things is awesome!

Lastly, if you haven't already, I'd strongly urge you to read Your Money Or Your Life. It really did change the way I think about money. I don't track my spending as closely as I did initially but after years of doing so I am now confident that my spending is more aligned with where my priorities are. I'll look at mint (the online spending tracker) every six months or so to make sure that I'm still under control, but mostly I'm happy with what I see. Occasionally it will surprise me and remind me to focus on certain areas where spending has crept up a bit.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I agree with Chicken lady that the secret is to turn this into positive goals. Learning to cook is one way of doing that. A few years ago I got a cookbook for Christmas and it's a shame how little use that has seen. When it comes to music, I also would like to gain a new appreciation for the records I already have, rather than always searching for something new. Thanks to jp1 for the book recommendation. I haven't read it or any other book on simple living, but I will. I'll see what I can find. It's still all a bit overwhelming. I don't really know where to begin on this forum, but I just posted here to post at least something on a daily basis.

Thread Information