Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: The biggest threat facing middle-age men isnít smoking or obesity. Itís loneliness.

White men entering a field in any meaningful numbers generally result in higher wages. A rising tide lifts all boats, it seems.
    But the converse is also true...
    https://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/20/u...rops.html?_r=0

Uh-oh! "The future is female!"
    ďI came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand." -- Rodney Dangerfield

I feel like the loneliness is crushing me.

Strangely, I am aware of how comparatively good my life is otherwise -- got an education, a decent job with benefits, a nice little apartment, a paid-off car, a bicycle, a great dog, some leisure time for fishing and reading, a sister and BIL that care about me, and a handful of acquaintances.

But it is like missing one vitamin, this loneliness. You miss just Vitamin C or D and your whole system is frickin' screwed.
    ďI came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand." -- Rodney Dangerfield

Ÿou know, if you lived in Cincinnati instead of Columbus, I'd hang out with you. Maybe you could fish in my pond so you didn't have to look at the inside of my house.... But if i hadn't randomly "come here" I would never have "met" you, and the actual physical presence of you instead of the easily moderated on-line presence probably would have resulted in far less conversation, so odds are that invitation to the pond would never happen. - which is all about me and not at all about you.

i am feeling a need for more community lately and am going to take a Tuesday night gardening class at a local organic farm. I don't need the class, but it's free, and maybe I'll meet some people. But probably not. I'm not very good at creating social opportunities with the people I already know.

i like the people at the foodbank, and a couple of them live in walking distance, but they all ask me what church I go to by the third question. Somehow I don't think "none, but I'm having a bonfire for Beltane, would you like to come?" Is going to win anyone over.

Thank you, Chicken Lady. That is very kind of you to say.

It wasn't meant to be kind. I find you interesting.

Dude, I would totally hang out with you. Even if we irritated each other at times. Denver is a bit far but if you were ever traveling I would meet up. I am coming to southern Michigan this summer, not sure how many hours away Columbus is.

And I really feel you, I have been through times that were so painful with loneliness that I was not sure I could keep breathing. It has taken years to make progress. Recently I realized some of my potential friendships needed to be dropped. I was doing all the reaching out and not getting any real response. I also saw that there have been some possible connections that I have not followed up on, out of shyness or nervousness.

UA I looked at your profile and noticed dog rescue. Have you tried volunteering at animal shelters? In my area they are full of women as are the animal rights groups out collecting signatures against puppy mills and the like.