Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The biggest threat facing middle-age men isn’t smoking or obesity. It’s loneliness.

cook together hehehe, yea a little bit but for the most part in reality it's either go out or I do most of the cooking. Yea I'm a woman last I checked and so that's the way it goes I guess. It's work.
    Trees don't grow on money

I put myself out there. I am relentlessly social. I am actually interested in other people and I am curious about their lives, ideas, and experiences. Maybe I come off a little journalistic, but I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    cook together hehehe, yea a little bit but for the most part in reality it's either go out or I do most of the cooking. Yea I'm a woman last I checked and so that's the way it goes I guess. It's work.
    I always contributed 50% of the cooking labor.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I'm sorry if it sounded like I was being judgmental, but she was not "happy as a clam" at all. She was very unhappy and probably depressed. Ironically, I remember her prodding her own mother to go out and meet people. I loved her, and I am not "tsk'ing" I would have loved for her to have enjoyed her life at the end, that's all. I'm very sorry she didn't.
    There are certainly things I would/could change about my life, but I suspect that's true of most people. Solitude isn't one of them--though I've thought seriously of moving closer to my loved ones--I'm in constant touch with them, so there's that. It would annoy me no end if people were trying to nudge me into being the extrovert I've never been.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    There are certainly things I would/could change about my life, but I suspect that's true of most people. Solitude isn't one of them--though I've thought seriously of moving closer to my loved ones--I'm in constant touch with them, so there's that. It would annoy me no end if people were trying to nudge me into being the extrovert I've never been.
    I hear ya. I'm an introvert, too. Extremely uncomfortable in social situations, but have made do in the business world. OTOH, my MIL was a blazing extrovert and would disparage quiet people with the saying "still waters run deep"--which she used as an insult. So that's why it was sad for me to see her unhappy. She didn't retire until she was 75 and I think she really missed her purpose at her job.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I hear ya. I'm an introvert, too. Extremely uncomfortable in social situations, but have made do in the business world. OTOH, my MIL was a blazing extrovert and would disparage quiet people with the saying "still waters run deep"--which she used as an insult. So that's why it was sad for me to see her unhappy. She didn't retire until she was 75 and I think she really missed her purpose at her job.
    People make their own happiness, barring crippling depression. She probably did miss her job, but her unhappiness was her own.
    Hypercritical people always strike me as miserable.

Just my armchair observation UL, but there are lots of thirty something women out there who don't really want kids but are absolutely in love with their dog children. Having dogs seems to be ice breakers at the park I walk at daily as I see all kinds of folk, young and old, stopping to chat about their dogs and compare notes. Do you go to dog parks often??

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    It seems like some folks like to gloat over white men being lonely, suicidal, drunken, opiate addicts.

Like: "Ha! Your life used to be all steaks and Ferraris. Now you have to have a crappy life of relative poverty in rural Ohio! Serves you right!"
    If it makes you feel better, I just had a wonderful steak as part of my relatively prosperous and seriously happy life as an older white male in semi-rural Ohio. Buying into stereotypes is a waste of time.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Are there folks at school you can go out and socialize with--form a study group or something?

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Just my armchair observation UL, but there are lots of thirty something women out there who don't really want kids but are absolutely in love with their dog children. Having dogs seems to be ice breakers at the park I walk at daily as I see all kinds of folk, young and old, stopping to chat about their dogs and compare notes. Do you go to dog parks often??
    Yup, I take Harlan to the parks. I spark up conversations here and there. As I said, I am a curious person and friendly. I have met a couple women at these places. Nothing came of it though.

Thread Information