Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The biggest threat facing middle-age men isn’t smoking or obesity. It’s loneliness.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    1 Black 2 hispanic and the rest white if I remember correctly
    I am not being snarky when I say this, but a straight white male doing anything in any field in any context cannot be considered diversity. It is the antithesis of diversity.

According to Webster:

diversity:

: the condition of having or being composed of differing elements :variety; especially: the inclusion of different types of people (as people of different races or cultures) in a group or organization programs intended to promote diversity in schools

my straight, white dh was bussed into an inner city school in his youth in order to improve the school's diversity.

in a thread related note, he may be past "middle-aged" but he is going to a concert with a guy friend tonight because he is trying to strengthen those relationships now that the kids are gone and retirement is on the horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    I am not being snarky when I say this, but a straight white male doing anything in any field in any context cannot be considered diversity. It is the antithesis of diversity.
    Why is that the case? What is there about belonging to the minority of the straight, white and male that make them the "antithesis of diversity" in any conceivable situation?

Is it an ideological thing? As more and more of us demand treatment as victims, do we need to preserve an oppressor group for the sake of our narrative?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Is it an ideological thing? As more and more of us demand treatment as victims, do we need to preserve an oppressor group for the sake of our narrative?
    Sounds right.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

DH and I have joked for years that we provide diversity in our politically blue neighborhood. There arent a lot of Republicans in this city.

But we are joking because as old, white, right leaning peoples, we are not a "minority" in the social justice sense of the word. We do know our true place in the world, The Enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    Being a white male nurse may not seem revolutionary to you now, but it certainly was within your and my lifetimes. My sister's wife went to nursing school with an older white guy. He had wanted to be a nurse his whole life but when he got out of the army after the Korean war he was not allowed to use the GI Bill to go to nursing school. So he became a real estate lawyer in southern California instead. Made a boatload of money. And then in his 50's he decided it was time to follow his dream. Quit his job and went back to school to become a nurse.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Being a white male nurse may not seem revolutionary to you now, but it certainly was within your and my lifetimes. My sister's wife went to nursing school with an older white guy. He had wanted to be a nurse his whole life but when he got out of the army after the Korean war he was not allowed to use the GI Bill to go to nursing school. So he became a real estate lawyer in southern California instead. Made a boatload of money. And then in his 50's he decided it was time to follow his dream. Quit his job and went back to school to become a nurse.
    Nope, sorry, it is you who doesn't understand. UL is acurately representing the dominant point of view in the world of human services.

"Diversity" doesnt mean a variety of races, religions, gender/gender identifies and ages in any situation. "Diversity" deliberately looks for traditional minorities and the down trodden, and seeks to promote them and their interests.

99% of the white men in the United States could be wiped out by a man disease, and the remaining 1% would still be considered a representative of the dominent culture. In the immediate aftermath of the ravaging ng disease, anyway. I am sure that such a society would adjust after a while to a tiny number of men and would creaye new social norms.

1. Within the historically female field of nursing it does increase diversity to have male nurses. You are wrong. 😊

2. Did you notice that 3/8 were men of color? Did you notice that I work with nurses from 6/7 continents on earth?

I stand my ground.

😄

White males seem to be very well represented in nursing school these days. JP1, that is a nice story--and you are right, things have really changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    1. Within the historically female field of nursing it does increase diversity to have male nurses. You are wrong. 

2. Did you notice that 3/8 were men of color? Did you notice that I work with nurses from 6/7 continents on earth?

I stand my ground.

I stand with you, and I am in education. The work and talk we do is about diversity in a very broad way. So we DO talk about more male elementary teachers. Lots of my family and friends are in social services and education, I absolutely do NOT hear that we should be wiping out white men.

Thread Information