Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: The biggest threat facing middle-age men isn’t smoking or obesity. It’s loneliness.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    1. Within the historically female field of nursing it does increase diversity to have male nurses. You are wrong. 

Of course it increases "diversity" in any rational thought process.

It is not me or UL who are not rational.

Let us hope that rational thinking will overtake human services/social justice warriors. I wont hold my breath for that, however.

UL said "I am not being snarky when I say this, but a straight white male doing anything in any field in any context cannot be considered diversity. It is the antithesis of diversity."

It seems he disagrees with you Iris Lilies.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Of course it increases "diversity" in any rational thought process.

It is not me or UL who are not rational.

Let us hope that rational thinking will overtake human services/social justice warriors. I wont hold my breath for that, however.
    If you hold your breath long enough you could add a new type of blue person to your neighborhood. Blue diversity is very important.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    UL said "I am not being snarky when I say this, but a straight white male doing anything in any field in any context cannot be considered diversity. It is the antithesis of diversity."

It seems he disagrees with you Iris Lilies.
    I agree with UL above in that he is representing dominant social work thought.

I didnt think he personally buys that point of view, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    If you hold your breath long enough you could add a new type of blue person to your neighborhood. Blue diversity is very important.
    Haha, well, ok.

How much dominant social work thought actually influences anyone outside of social work is probably doubtful though. Yes of course many companies try to have some sensitivity, you think they want a lawsuit, yea noone does. Yea I know everyone thinks their profession is the very mostest important of them all. The I.T. dept is convinced they are the most important in the company. The social workers I guess are convinced everyone thinks like them. But it's a blindness when you see that the rest of the world may not think so.

Now if I was asked if workplaces are diverse that are mostly white, indian, and asian (and I have been), I'd say no not exactly ... If you want people to be completely color blind (perhaps poke out their eyes to get there) and not see the lack of say hispanics and blacks ok ... but we do perceive and will continue to do so.
    Trees don't grow on money

SW's need to assist their clients in becoming independent in the ares that they are not adequately functioning. If you are working harder then your client you are not helping but are enabling. You need to balance empathy with expectations. The first few years in the field I worked with court ordered clients and I toughened up quickly.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I read through some of the responses here and I wonder how true this holds for introverts. In my case, I really don't need (or even want) a lot of people in my life. Seriously. I have one very close friend from my college days that I can trust with anything, another close friend I met on this board actually that lives outside of DC, my husband and his family and my Mother and that's it, and that's plenty for me, personally. When I was younger and had even fewer people in my life, I never really felt lonely as I realized that in those days due to my sexual orientation I was persona non grata with many more people than I am today - this actually helped me in the sense that it forced me to find meaning outside of human relationships of any kind. Books, nature and art, especially books, have always been important to me and a way for this introvert here to be less reliant on/need human relationships less. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Being a white male nurse may not seem revolutionary to you now, but it certainly was within your and my lifetimes. My sister's wife went to nursing school with an older white guy. He had wanted to be a nurse his whole life but when he got out of the army after the Korean war he was not allowed to use the GI Bill to go to nursing school. So he became a real estate lawyer in southern California instead. Made a boatload of money. And then in his 50's he decided it was time to follow his dream. Quit his job and went back to school to become a nurse.
    When my dad came back from Vietnam in 1967 he got a job with the railroad and hated it. In the early 1970s he went to nursing school. He retired as a nurse practitioner about 5 years ago.

My workplace is all women except for me. The boss is a woman and all my colleagues are women. This is a major victory in diversity, right?

Thread Information