Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trump's Budget

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    As a volunteer for Meals on Wheels it just made my heart hurt. For many, the meal I deliver is the only one they are eating and I am the only person they talk to face to face. They are lonely, they are hungry and also very very appreciative of every effort on their behalf. I no longer consider them clients. To me they are family. It always shocks me how few people know and understand the need. In so many cases their own neighbors don't know the dire straits they are in. Everybody is busy busy busy. Either they don't have family or family that doesn't feel compelled to help.
    I volunteer regularly for a nonprofit that makes and delivers food to ill, homebound people, I'm not sure if/how they might be impacted.

The budget is disgusting and makes me sick. When I was in grad school I spent the summer taking food from one place to another depending on the need. You never knew how many kids would show up on a given day at which location. They would walk long distances for a cold sandwich, fruit and milk. On Fridays it was cold fried chicken which was a big hit. They did this because these kids depended on free lunch during the school year and it was important that they eat over the summer. Lack of food/nutrition can definitely impact intelligence. Adults were not allowed to eat but could come with the kids. I would take my kids outgrown clothes and lay them on a table for the kids to pick from and then all summer I would see them wearing my kids old clothes. My friends received meals on wheels when he was dying of cancer and too sick to cook for his wife with Alzheimer's. We need to protect the environment for future generations. There was a article today that in NV the number of children without health insurance has been cut in half thanks to the ACA. We need to spend more $ on military like we need to poke ourselves in the eye with a sharp stick. Ugh!!

As long as we can afford to pay for trump to fly to Florida every time he craves a round of golf, and for his wife to live as far away from him as she can (perfectly understandable on her part) we can afford meals on wheels.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Another note about meals on wheels. When I delivered you realize how much they appreciate the visit and food. My quilt guild made a stack of placemats and the delivery people got to take them at the holidays to the clients. It seems minor, but they were so appreciated. To this day we make lots of placemats and they have a ton of fun picking them for each client to give as a holiday. Another thing I have always noticed is most of the delivery staff were lower to middle class driving less expensive cars, the kind of people who understand how simple acts of kindness can make a huge difference in someone's life. Such a selfish move to cut funding when our legislators have such excess.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Another note about meals on wheels. When I delivered you realize how much they appreciate the visit and food. My quilt guild made a stack of placemats and the delivery people got to take them at the holidays to the clients. It seems minor, but they were so appreciated. To this day we make lots of placemats and they have a ton of fun picking them for each client to give as a holiday. Another thing I have always noticed is most of the delivery staff were lower to middle class driving less expensive cars, the kind of people who understand how simple acts of kindness can make a huge difference in someone's life. Such a selfish move to cut funding when our legislators have such excess.
    If adults with disabilties (age, mental, whatever type that keeps them from provid Ng food for the,selves) will go hungry if a Meals on
    Wheels progeam is cut, that is unfortunate.

In my community, low level criminals serving out their "community service" stints deliver Meals on
    wheels.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...s-kill-program

or maybe Meals on Wheels wont go away after all

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    That's a wonderful post, flowerseverywhere.

Flowerseverywhere......on a lighter note, At first, I read you as saying "my guilt guild".

Many of my clients have pets which are their only source of comfort and companionship. When you acknowledge their pets they are over the moon. We like to celebrate birthdays and holidays with them and will put together gift baskets for their pets as well. It often brings hugs and tears.
    We started doing Meals on Wheels several years ago after my husband's stroke. I thought it would be good therapy for him to remember addresses, names and orders. I was only going to ride along the first few times. We got instantly hooked and we have been a team ever since. I have heard so many negative comments about that program from people who assume that people who receive it are slackers using the system. Only once in five years have we had somebody who was questionable. They investigated and took them off the program. Everybody else there is absolutely no question. Some just break my heart. I would adopt them all if I could and I take every opportunity that I can to talk up the program and try to recruit more volunteers. Kids love helping.

That comment about social Darwinism is exactly right. This philosophy does not value people, especially if they are poor or powerless.

Thread Information