Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump's Budget

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Trump's Budget

Having seen some summaries, I have to say it's quite an extraordinary document. Even a flint-hearted conservative like me was taken a little aback. I'm fine with getting government out of the arts and broadcasting business, but meals on wheels? His military spending seems to emphasize hardware over training and maintenance, which tends to be the classic mistake in that area.

Of course, like so many before him, he seems to be ignoring the elephant in the room of entitlements.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Of course, like so many before him, he seems to be ignoring the elephant in the room of entitlements.
    Are the elephant entitlements you are thinking about SS and Medicare?

Like Ryancare or whatever they are calling it, the budget will be up for debate and change. I think T is starting with an extreme expecting compromise. Cutting Meals on Wheels is ridiculous. I have had relatives that have benefited immensely from it. Corporation for Public Broadcasting? Those are probably pocket change in the big scheme of things. Totally eliminating anything to do with global warming is egregious.

It is The Art of The Deal. Like Roger says, you start negotiations at a ridiculous number and move forward.

But anything that trims deficit spendng is a big win for me.

I am so mad at NpR's smug assessment of themselves that I would LIKE to see them cut. I do not think that our the government should subsidize left political talk radio anymore, even if it is fairly high quality. Its too bad, I was once a big supporter of NPR. i did send them $200 last week for their quarterly fundraising effort, but I have given more in the past.
    If I could get acknowledgement from NPR that their programming is left leaning, that would go far toward me respecting them again.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    It is The Art of The Deal. Like Roger says, you start negotiations at a ridiculous number and move forward.

But anything that trims deficit spendng is a big win for me.

I am so mad at NpR's smug assessment of themselves that I would LIKE to see them cut. I do not think that our the government should subsidize left political talk radio anymore, even if it is fairly high quality. Its too bad, I was once a big supporter of NPR. i did send them $200 last week for their quarterly fundraising effort, but I have given more in the past.
    If I could get acknowledgement from NPR that their programming is left leaning, that would go far toward me respecting them again.
    do you see where deficit spending decreases? All the assessments I read said no.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    do you see where deficit spending decreases? All the assessments I read said no.
    You are likely right if there is a big military build up in the budget, I havent read analysis of the bottem line. But there are two things wrong with Trump and why I didnt vote for him, and one of them is that he is no fiscal conservative.

The rejiggered ACA is supposed to save around $337 Billion. That there is some dollars, but it wont pass.

CPB and NPR/PBS has some fine distinctions that I've not totally sorted out. It does seem to possibly include 8 hours of children's education and entertainment programming each day and maybe things like Masterpiece and some of the good Burn's like history and education programs.

It is upsetting to think that meals on wheels and free lunches for kids would be cut.
    There are so many children who will suffer if this passes.
    I guess this is how the upper class do away with future competition?
    It is disgusting.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenngal View Post
    It is upsetting to think that meals on wheels and free lunches for kids would be cut.
    There are so many children who will suffer if this passes.
    I guess this is how the upper class do away with future competition?
    It is disgusting.
    not doing away with their competition, but eliminating those who are worthless to them. Survival of the fittest/rich white people.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    not doing away with their competition, but eliminating those who are worthless to them. Survival of the fittest/rich white people.
    Bannon is apparently a huge fan of social darwinism, according to staff leakage on Twitter: "House staffer‏ @AngryWHStaffer Mar 13
    Bannon loves the fact that the AHCA would hurt people. He believes in a "only the strong survive" America. Talks about it often."

As a volunteer for Meals on Wheels it just made my heart hurt. For many, the meal I deliver is the only one they are eating and I am the only person they talk to face to face. They are lonely, they are hungry and also very very appreciative of every effort on their behalf. I no longer consider them clients. To me they are family. It always shocks me how few people know and understand the need. In so many cases their own neighbors don't know the dire straits they are in. Everybody is busy busy busy. Either they don't have family or family that doesn't feel compelled to help.

Thread Information