I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I don't have a smartphone. I take endless teasing about this, being in software development. I haven't really needed one as I work from home, and am in front of computers and phones all day. I also have a tablet which goes traveling with me (but is wifi only) as well as an ipod touch for music. My dumb phone to call and text has been fine, but some recent traveling has been changing my mind on all of this as I see the utility for travel like not having to find a printer at a hotel to print out my boarding pass, as well as having just one device instead of the multiple I carry (add the GPS and a camera to the ipod and tablet).

I live in the boonies where the only coverage that comes in at all is Verizon, so I'll likely go with one of the Verizon MVNO's (resellers). So I have a couple of questions I'd appreciate input on:

1) how much data do you use per month and do you consider yourself a light/medium/heavy phone user? Data usage seems to be the big price differentiator, and I have no idea how much data is "typical". I would not be playing games or streaming movies/audio. Just doing things like google maps when out and about. I would load apps over wifi if that is possible.

2) what kind of phone do you have and do you like it? I like the aesthetics of Apple (I have an ipod touch 3rd gen) but not the price. If I went for an iphone, it would probably be an SE- but is it REALLY worth the money over, say, a Samsung or LG phone? SE appears to be too new to have much of a refurbished market. Google Pixel phones are the same price as iphones.

3) how much memory do you have on your phone?

Anything else I should be looking for/asking about?