Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Offer on BIL's house!

Offer on BIL's house!

So we FINALLY put the house on the market a month ago, and today we got our first offer! It's in the ballpark of what we were hoping for. And the potential buyers are currently renting and want to close by April 28!!

Some mixed emotions--we hate in a way to give up this asset. Plus we feel we need to put in the contract deeded pooping rights for our dog, who ALWAYS makes a B-line for BIL's yard to do her business. (JK, but honestly, we need to do some serious re-training!)

But, it's such a plus for everyone involved. BIL doesn't even know yet--he's working.

We'll see what happens!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

IMO, if you want to close in a month-6 wks which is wonderful, put no barriers about pooping rights or anything else to confuse the buyers and make them look elsewhere.

BIL will panic and will fight but, hopefully, you and your DH will prevail and stick to your guns to get you out of your situation. Don't waffle, You need to get out of that $$$$$$$$$$ schmozzle as no one else will do it for you and look to a sane future for yourselves. Your kids don't need money, your grandkids don't need money but you desperately do. Protect it with your life and don't give it away as you will need every penny.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

haha, of course I'm not talking pooping rights! (Nessie might argue) I agree, razz. I had a bit of an "aha" the other day when BIL was b**ching about MAYBE having to draw down his $5,000 401K so he could go on vacation to Las Vegas. I don't know why it took so long, but I suddenly recalled how, for HIS BENEFIT and HIS MOTHER'S benefit I wound up turning my 75k 401k into a 0 balance. I still haven't recovered.

I think I've finally gotten it--my need to look after myself, that is.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Haaaaa. A lightbulb moment, Catherine. Well done!

Good for you Catherine- stick to your plan- and I hope the house sale goes through. BIL will survive or not. Not your circus.
    Last edited by nswef; 3-19-17 at 9:09pm.

So happy for you! I can't believe in his situation that he is even thinking of taking a vacation. Eye opener for sure.

Congratulations! This is definitely good news! I hope everything works out and the sale goes through.

Hooray! Fingers crossed for a speedy closing--that is great news!

Good news, close that deal.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    haha, of course I'm not talking pooping rights! (Nessie might argue) I agree, razz. I had a bit of an "aha" the other day when BIL was b**ching about MAYBE having to draw down his $5,000 401K so he could go on vacation to Las Vegas. I don't know why it took so long, but I suddenly recalled how, for HIS BENEFIT and HIS MOTHER'S benefit I wound up turning my 75k 401k into a 0 balance. I still haven't recovered.

I think I've finally gotten it--my need to look after myself, that is.
    I don't know, a one way bus ticket/plane fare to Vegas, might be a pretty cheap way to get rid of him.

Thread Information