Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Offer on BIL's house!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    In my opinion, the thing you have which is a nicely presented new-on-the-market house with an offer close to your asking price is the best deal you will likely get. Do not under estimate the power of this house being new on the market, it is a huge selling point.

As housing stock on the market ages, it becomes used goods. Real estate agents think there something wrong with it and the new items on the market are more attractive and become the properties most shown.

take the damn offer.
    For sure this aging thing is real. We once bought a house for $75,000 under the original asking price. It was likely priced about $25,000 high to start off, then sat on the market a long time as a result. It had dropped by 35000 or so by the time we looked at it for the second time, and they took a moderate but not full-price offer.

You may tell them this cautionary tale with whatever embellishments you would like to add.

Knock their heads together! They are total NUMPTIES,

They have seller's remorse, which is really common. There's an old real estate saying, First offer, best offer. I think it's true.

With your DH, I'd start talking about putting your house on the market and moving on to Vermont! Show him pictures of great houses, like these
    2018 Colchester point road, Colchester

21 Pines road n st albans

and my favorite:

306 Montcalm road, Milton

Tell him you really need to retire that debt to move on with your life. Maybe focusing on the future will help.

Emotion is unreasonable.
    The closest thing I could think of to do is possibly talk to your own attorney, then sit him down and show him the financials. But until they can view it in a non emotional state, you just won't get them to reason.

BTW. Jane is right, bury St. Joseph! Works every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    BTW. Jane is right, bury St. Joseph! Works every time.
    But they got a good offer on the house, so I think they need to bury DBIL!
    Just kidding - kinda

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Just kidding - kinda
    Oh, Rosa, that is funny!
    Naw, the reason you bury St. Joseph is because he is the patron saint of finding homes for people--think of him wandering around with Mary looking for a place for her to give birth! He is also the one you pray to for a peaceful, good death. Since what Catherine needs is for the guys to come to peace with the situation and the loss of their mom, and giving up the house, which is probably really hard given how it represents the mom, I think St. Joseph would be a very good saint to involve in the process at this point.

Anyway, that is my take on the situation. Our old hardware store in Illinois used to sell the statues right up by the cash register. I have also used the St. Joseph from my Christmas manger scene. You can buy the on Amazon, and probably get 2 day delivery.

I think the guys are just having a very hard time with processing the loss of the house as representing mom. It doesn't help that it's right next door, staring you in the face every day. That is why I would sell my house, too, if I were Catherine, because I think it would be too hard to look at MIL's house all the time. I think everybody could use a new start.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Just kidding - kinda
    That's great, rosa! (Love a little black humor to start the weekend off right!)

Jane/Tybee, I went to 12 years of Catholic school and never heard of burying St. Joseph! After reading Jane's post, I googled it! Very interesting. If I had known, I would have littered my MIL's NY house with dozens of St. Joseph potholes in the backyard to help with THAT sale back in 2008!

Tybee, thanks for those pictures.. I know--VT is definitely calling my name. I liked the first one in Colchester. It's very close to Burlington, and I liked the "vibe"--reminded me a little of a miniature version of my Aunt's house with the stone fireplace and exposed ceiling.

St. Albans has some nice homes for sale, but there are two potential problems with that town: heroin and green algae.

I am planning a reconnaissance trip to meet with my VT agent so she can drive me around the Champlain towns. I'm looking for a place that has some sense of community, and it's hard to see that in a picture.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Catherine so sorry you are having to deal with all of that craziness.

Oh my word. If those two men ruin this deal i'd consider running off by myself.

Thread Information