Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beauty and the Beast movie

Beauty and the Beast movie

Has anyone else seen it? I heard that there was lots of controversy but with the media, controversy happens with the most innocuous things. Probably the controversy was good for promotion anyway.
    I found it over the top in effects that probably didn't add much to it but made it larger than life.

I saw a play a few years ago that was far superior and we actually watched the beast transform on the stage into a young man. DD1 and I could not figure out how it was done though. That play was probably the most visually beautiful play ever but elegant in everything. The movie isn't. I am glad I went to see it tonight though.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I wouldnt see this, the animated version, or any Disney version, really. And the theme song is insipid.
    I think people forget that Beauty and the Beast is a French folktale from hundreds of years ago. Uncle Walt didnt invent it, and frankly, didnt add that much to it.

Emma Watson is very pretty and likeable, but she cant act. She was sadly mis cast in Ballet Shoes, a film based on a well loved British children book. Made me cringe.

I won't see it until it is on DVD or TV but I like Disney movies. The Frozen song is fantastic IMO. I can't image never watching any Disney movies at all. I grew up watching the old movies that were on on Sunday nights.

Emma Watson - wasn't she in the Harry Potter movies? Seemed like an excellent actress to me.

In college I remember being told by someone -- maybe a peer or an instructor -- that Beauty and The Beast was some apologetics for domestic violence...

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    In college I remember being told by someone -- maybe a peer or an instructor -- that Beauty and The Beast was some apologetics for domestic violence...
    Geez.. I guess anyone could interpret anything any way they want. I always thought of Beauty and the Beast as being more about acceptance. True, you could almost say that Beauty developed Stockholm Syndrome, haha, but I never saw it that way.

I'm probably not going to see the movie, at least until it's available on TV. I have too many other movies I'd want to see first.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I was talking to a woman about this movie last night. I asked her: "Could the roles be reversed?"

She said: "What? Like 'Handsome and The Hag?'"

I was talking to a woman about this movie last night. I asked her: "Could the roles be reversed?"

She said: "What? Like 'Handsome and The Hag?'"
    No, the ending of that fairy tale would be Handsome escaping and making money off of a tell-all book of his years with a witch while the hag's palace gets condemned and she becomes homeless. Nothing good comes from stories about unattractive women.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

That wouldnt surprise me. Its certainly would resonate at that level.

These old folktales exist to illustrate and explain human truths.

Red Riding Hood is about children beng abused, possibly raped, and getting back their mojo by beheading the wolf.

The French fairy tales are quite gruesome. I did a course in college on French fairy tales, many were taken by the Grimm brothers and cleaned up a bit for their books. The oral traditions go back as long as people do in some way or another, and do indeed teach about human nature. Not so good human nature! But it all makes me feel better for loving shows like Criminal Minds.

I may see this one since a group is going, I liked it as a play. My son did the music for musicals for junior high and high school and this was one he did music for. The transformation parts as a play are really interesting to see how they do that.

I took my daughter to see it on Saturday. She enjoyed it. We didn't try deconstructing it at all except for when she asked me why a French girl would have a British accent.

Thread Information