Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Living deliberately

Yppej
    I am feeling more competent at work but being employed does - no surprise - make living deliberately more challenging. Especially difficult is my caloric consumption. There are candy jars, free food people bring in or left over from meetings, coffee with cream, Friday lunch ordered out, etc. Everyone says they gained weight once they started working here. And with only a half hour for lunch versus an hour at my previous job I am not using the company gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I am feeling more competent at work but being employed does - no surprise - make living deliberately more challenging.
    oh it really does

Especially difficult is my caloric consumption. There are candy jars, free food people bring in or left over from meetings, coffee with cream, Friday lunch ordered out, etc. Everyone says they gained weight once they started working here. And with only a half hour for lunch versus an hour at my previous job I am not using the company gym.
    is it super stressful? (ok no job is stress free but they vary). Then no wonder everyone is gaining weight :\ The 1/2 hour lunch is hard as a meal eaten at a reasonable pace alone takes 40 minutes or so to eat generally (takes me that to finish my salad). You probably need some rules around the work food like avoiding the candy. Can you use the gym after work? I joined a gym near work since I started this new job this year (didn't do that at my last place as that area I worked in was just an insane asylum), it entails walking 10 minutes or so to the gym from work, work out pretty hard with weights 20 minutes or so, walk 10 minutes back, I aim for twice a week, don't always reach it and sometimes only go once, know that that is life and it's difficult to fit stuff in perfectly (I mean I'd quit entirely if I thought I had to be perfect). I take walks sometimes during lunch or if I need to think as well though.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    There is a gym at the new job, but by the end of the day I just want to go home and beat the traffic. We get out at 4. I don't think the job is especially stressful once you learn the clunky DOS based system (yes, really) but it is boring and food perks everyone up.

Can you think of things that would perk you up besides the food? Just plan to get most of your calories at work and your nutrition at home?

i really get the just wanting to go home thing. Now that it is spring, I am just not swimming after school. I told dh to cancel my membership and I will sign back up in the fall.

i feel like I am doing better today. I didn't get a lot done, but I made a little progress on the dishes and the laundry and the studio, and my dd is home and I helped her unload her car. I've eaten a little better, and I'm making homemade pizza for dinner, then going out with dh for the evening (dd us going to her best friend's house)

dd and I have a a mutual support plan to help us focus and meet our goals this summer.

well I suppose before work is maybe an option but might requiring showering then etc. (and if you are getting out at 4 that requires being a serious morning person - getting out at 4 alone would be hard for me, and at that point and I wouldn't do anything before work at all to allow the maximum amount of sleep in the morning). Or just join a gym close to your house and go after work before going home, it may really be the more rational if less frugal option if you really want to go to the gym.

Do probably need rules around food at work, maybe no sweets (you could allow sweets on weekends if you aren't inclined to give them up entirely - you are just likely to actually enjoy them then rather than be eating out of boredom), or maybe no snacking (or if you must snack a planned snack if you need it and not snacking all day long at least - and something with some nutrients you bring, I sometimes do need an afternoon snack as I do get home fairly late). It's not easy.
    Trees don't grow on money

So, dd starts her summer job tomorrow. I get up in the morning, make dh breakfast (dd says she wants to eat the cereal she brought hope me with her) and pack two lunches. Then I do chores and go to the foodbank.

today dd and I went to an arts festival and I bought a handmade wooden soap rack for my shower and a really nice welded trellis for dsil for his birthday (the welder is ds's best friend, but the trellis us a new piece I hadn't seen before.)

Yppej
    Cut my number of trips to the candy jar in half, though I did have strawberry shortcake someone brought in. Monday is our busiest day and the culture is to work through lunch but I saw one lone woman in our group warming up chicken so I took a quick 10 minute lunch and that kept me from the jar in the afternoon.

Heard from a place last night without the 2 hour round trip commute. They are still interviewing. Though it is in town it is not in my field, pays less, would have less generous benefits, the manager seems hard to please and fired the last person, and it would mark me as a jobhopper on my resume, so I likely will stay where I am. My current boss is low key and my coworkers are all nice to me so far, despite the cliques I was warned about in the interview.

Good job on the candy. Also good job supporting the woman who made a healthy choice to take a break and eat real food - cultures can change. Be the change! Strawberry shortcake is hard to resist. Better for you than candy too.

i think you are making a good decision about the job. If you leave so soon you need to have significant reasons and it seems like this one is a wash.

I did badly yesterday. I think I may be bootstrapping depression. It doesn't make sense, because the weather was nice, and there is enough sun that I am having trouble going to bed early (related problem. I need more sleep) but I just can't find any motivation. Intellectually I want to do things, but I'm not having any limbic response to them and keep not doing the things because it takes less energy and there are no immediate negative consequences.

it may be situational though.

i did work at the food bank, and that was fine. We weren't very busy, but since the church that was supposed to send volunteers (organizations sign up for different days) didn't send any, that was good. I ran two stations and helped with the bread. Brought home a bag of recycling. Most of the regular volunteers have figured out which things I recycle and call me over to hand them to me now. (Case wrap, water bottles, cans, paper, torn plastic bags - we reuse whole ones). Also Paul takes the cardboard boxes to a drop and they've discovered I cheerfully "take this to Paul's truck."

i made a list to work on today, but I am already staring down the reality that as long as I make breakfast, pack lunch and have dinner ready tonight, nothing I do today is going to matter to anyone but me. (Well, and chores. The goats will scream all day if I don't feed them.)

Yppej
    Took a short lunch even though no one else did trying to keep my blood sugar stable, but it turned out to be my downfall. Putting my lunch in the fridge I saw Mother's Day cupcakes were out and had one. Later getting my lunch out I saw chocolate cake was out and had some. I think I may need to pack a lunch that does not require refrigeration. However, when free cheesecake was announced mid afternoon I did manage to stay away from it. Also I have gotten used to the commute and my caffeine use has stabilized and is now gradually decreasing.

Sorry you had a setback Yppej. How have the last few days been?

my week has been up and down. A lot going on and I have been very tired.

i do feel like I'm making progress with the help of my new hoarding (anti-hoarding?) support group. Things have left my house. And yesterday I had a pretty successful grocery shopping trip. I have been staying under budget on the groceries too.

i have been working a little more on making connections and reaching out to people, and that has resulted in some connections where I have been able to divert a small part of the resource stream so that one group's discards become another group's supplies. That makes me happy. (Reduce trash! Save money! Yay! - lol)

my school year will be over in nine days and I need to work on creating a structure for my days and weeks. Also need to incorporate some regular reflection time. The last couple of weeks have been heavy on reacting.

Thread Information