So, this is sort of a distillation of a bunch of other things that I have been working on over the last year in which I have been examining just about everything in my life. Big ones including eating the elephant and finding balance and mindful consumption, and I'm finding that it all boils down to

1) what are my goals and values
and
2) how does this serve them?

it's the first day of spring, which is one of the days of reflection sprinkled throughout my year. I made a list of actions that serve various areas that are important in my life (and have to accept that some of my goals -and even values - are in conflict with each other). And I thought about setting some specific goals and challenges, but my list is very long and there are many I'm still working on.

so, instead, what I want to go is pay attention to the choices I am making from day to day (what am I doing, why, how does this relate to what I tell myself I want to be doing) and keep track of the ones I make consciously and the ones I become aware that I have been making unconsciously.

i'm going to focus on the newer stuff - steps in the right direction, but as an example,
this morning I am making my dh breakfast and packing his lunch. Those are decisions I made some time ago because they improve his health, our budget, and our relationship. I probably won't mention that again unless there is some reason I don't do it.

then a little later I am working at the foodbank. This is a new thing tied to investing more energy in my community. It also involves driving, which is a negative, so I will sometimes mention combining trips (although I did the math and am trying to not need to grocery shop afterwards).

I have been there long enough that I recently felt comfortable asking if I can take some of the recycling that they were throwing away when I go. Also, there is a woman who takes expired/moldy/ wilted, no longer for human consumption food for her farm animals. She doesn't come on Thursdays and sometimes she comes early enough on Mondays that they find stuff after she leaves (this fruit is fine, but nobody wanted it and it won't make it from Monday to Thursday...) so since I stay to clean up, I am now taking these things for my chickens (or sometimes compost if they are really bad, or honestly sometimes I eat them i.e., the fruit). So, while my primary goal was to help out and become more involved in my community, the activity is also serving my environmental and financial goals. - marginally after gas, more of an offset?

i guess what I am looking for here is a place to reflect on larger choices with others, and maybe support from or for others who have more generalized goals or want to focus on a wider range of factors (healthier habits vs. eat 5 servings of fruit and vegetables every day) without starting a bunch of different threads.