Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Living deliberately

Chicken Lady thanks for asking. I am getting better at redirecting my thoughts. Also I have been trying to eat more deliberately and am down one pound. Another thing I am working on is better listening instead of racing ahead in my thoughts as to how I want to respond. Instead I try to just choose one thing and tuck it away until my turn, rather than a half dozen points to make.

You all are admirable on your environmental focus.

Most of the environmental stuff is small - I think it does more to make me feel better than anything else. i keep trying to figure out how I can be a smaller part of the problem (not building the addition would have been one)

today i I am sore all over, but that is a good thing because it is the result of getting back into my groove on the farm. The chicken coop is cleaned out, and I cleaned up 100sqft of the three sisters garden that had been fallow for over a year and was growing up in wild blackberries. (We have tons of wild blackberries already.). I think I might do just corn in it this year, there's another 100 sqft to clear though.

I had to cancel my registration for a backyard organic gardening class this morning - I had signed up mostly to build community, but when they sent more information, I realized that the class was being held not on the farm, half an hour from me, but downtown in the city, over an hour away, mostly highway, find a parking garage yourself. The logistics of that are daunting to me, even if it weren't going to be an evening class (dinner, chores, city driving in an new area in the dark) and the point was to meet people I have something in common with who live close(ish) to me.

my weight is creeping up again - at the very top of my range this morning, and I don't think it's muscle. I think I overestimate the amount of energy I burn doing chores and i've been grabbing "easy" foods like bread, cheese, and cookies because I'm tired. I need to peel some carrots and put them in the fridge.

the weather is slated to be awful today, so I am planning to do laundry and work in the studio. I don't snack when my hands are covered in clay.

tomorrow is food bank again. Last week I had a short conversation with Quinn about where his son goes to school. I don't know how old Quinn is, but he is quite a bit younger than I am. He seems like a nice guy, and I am setting a goal to have another conversation with him tomorrow. He's a single dad, maybe he's lonely enough to make friends with an old lady who loves kids. (Ultralight Angler has encouraged me) He hasn't used the word "church" yet.

Chicken Lady I totally get you with the class. Recently I tried to volunteer for an organization which operates in my area but has orientation sessions with the same distance/no parking challenges so I bailed and reached out to a closer group that can hopefully use my help.

The food bank definitely needs my help. Most of the volunteers are 20 years older than I am and one hospitalized herself two weeks ago by injuring her back lifting a bag of frozen meat off the floor.

the sun came out, so I cleaned out more in the barn instead of doing pottery.

my plan for tomorrow is (after my usual morning routine)
    food bank, feed store, then home - knowing I will be over peopled, so:

unload the car right away, switch over the laundry, eat a healthy lunch (I'll fix it before I go) and then spend some time brushing my rabbit - a necessary chore which soothes us both - before I go out to the pottery studio.

stop working in the studio early enough to come back, wash up, and make a good dinner.