Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Living deliberately

Yppej
    I visited Atlanta once and was struck by the traffic. I'm glad you've found something that helps you get through it.

Dh and I have an arguement about me and the phone and the car. First off, I drive with one hand. I am willing to accept that that is a bad habit, but unless I am in a situation that creates a sense that I might need to turn quickly, I drive with one hand.

so, I like to talk to my mother when I drive. If I need two hands I say "hang on", and put the phone on the seat for as long as needed (she knows she can hang up if I take too long because there is always a possibility that the phone slid onto the floor. - in which case I am not going to get it. Sometimes she has already hung up and I am talking loudly to the seat about why the phone is still down and where I will stop to pick it up.). When I talk to my mother on the phone, I feel like my mother is in the car. And I drive like my mother is in the car.

when I don't talk to my mother on the phone, particularly on a long, often repeated drive - like to work, I tend to fall into a revery and not pay enough attention to my surroundings. Even with the radio on.

The last few weeks I have been trying not to talk on the phone while driving at my dh request. I have cut off another car, run a stop sign, and just barely missed a deer. I also completely missed my turn and didn't notice for a couple of miles and accidentally took a route that did not go near one of my planned stops.

so I think he should get me an ear thingy. But I will still drive with one hand.

Yppej
    CL can you put it on speakerphone?

I have a flip phone. And an old car.

Yppej
    My phone is cheap. I think it cost $50 with no contract but it does have a speaker button.

no speaker button. often translates texts into martian symbols, and randomly accesses message every few months. Takes and recieves photos, but the screen is smaller than a postage stamp. Basically it's a phone. But it has a connector for an earpiece.

I highly recommend an earpiece.

I had one that I've since passed on to my daughter so we can catch up on my way home from work (my new car came with bluetooth). Also helps me return calls that I never can get to during the school day and must be made between 8 and 5. Very helpful as a stress reliever!

Dh went to the driving range after he finished insulating the ceiling yesterday. I had a meal planned, but he didn't ask. He just decided to stop at the grocery store for plastic packaged lamb chops and out of season, packaged in plastic, but at least organic spinach. Then he made dinner and ate more meat than I usually feed him in week. He also didn't bring home the reciept and has no idea how much he spent. I thanked him for making dinner and praised him for choosing organic spinach. I'm not stupid.

after dinner I said I needed to make cookies, and he asked "why do you need to make cookies?" And I said "because I don't have any dessert for your lunch tomorrow." And he said "I'll go out." I said "you'll go out because I'm missing dessert?" And he said "yeah." I made cookies. Before you say he probably wanted to go out - he makes a big deal about appreciating me packing his lunch. He asks me to get up 15 minutes earlier than I would otherwise have to every weekday so I can pack his lunch. And if I know there is going to be a conflict, he buys lunch but is always dissapointed about it. He was just trying to make things easier, because apparently he can't get to the idea of eating a packed lunch with no dessert or buying a candy bar from the vending machine or taking extra fruit. Usually if he goes out, he gets something like chipotle with no dessert!

ok, letting go of his path now, even though it winds around mine.

Two more positives:

He ordered r36 insulation with a minimum 50% post consumer recycled content for the roof.

also, my dd and her dh are buying a Leaf next weekend after test driving my friend's Leaf (which my friend has had since early fall and adores)

today I go to the food bank and work in my garden.

Yppej
    I have decided to take a break from the Buddhist temple. This time of year it is more restorative to be out of doors. I think some of the Protestant denominations in my area that recess for the summer have it right.

I think they close because nobody shows up and it isn't cost effective. (I was raised Protestant)

but outside is definitely my temple/cathedral/shrine.

didn't work in my garden today because I worked in the food bank garden all morning and got really tired. Old seems to be showing up far too suddenly.

Thread Information