Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Living deliberately

Geila
    Or get a cat!

chicken lady, all I can say is I'm so sorry you're so stressed.... maybe, just maybe, it's time to let some things go. I understand where you are coming from - I think I've been close to that place myself (long and boring story). But when I stopped beating myself up about what I wasn't doing, I sure felt a lot better. Easier said than done, I know. Anyway, I am sending hopes your way that your poison ivy subsides, the fences hold, and the mice and raccoons move on. Take care of yourself please! (if I lived closer I'd come help in all of my spare time, lol. I think you're a fair bit south of me...)

I have a cat. Last night he had to stay in because of the raccoons and he got one mouse and I got one mouse. I was hoping there was only one mouse. I reset the trap. I don't see anyone else (dh or dd) doing.it

i told the food bank I am not coming next week. They have another young(ish) volunteer for Thursday nights the rest of July. So I don't feel guilty.

i am just trying to keep doing the next thing and not add stuff, but it is hard. I promised a small project to the owner of the clay studio. He has been really good to me. I know it's a business, but it is also a community and he really cares for it. The project has no deadline though.

I am eating a real dinner. Then I am going to do my chores, find the cat and bring him inside, set up for the raccoons, take a shower, and watch a tv show with dh. I will probably also cleanup the kitchen a little more before I go to bed because the cleaner the kitchen is in the morning, the more easily I can start my day.

tomorrow, maybe raccoons and mice, chores, and painting. If I get the kitchen done, I will go spend the rest of the day in my studio. I don't have to go anywhere tomorrow, and the laundry can wait. Also other people know how to cook dinner. I might clean the kitchen up a little more. But I am not letting all my studio time be nibbled away again.

i did go to and really enjoy my class today, and the traffic wasn't bad, so I am getting some r&r. It is good to go to a place where the only expectation is that I will make stuff with clay. I just wish I had more time to take advantage of all the options - it's a really rich class and I'm soaking in information, but not finding time to keep up with the assignments. Nobody is grading me, I am just missing learning opportunities and not getting to use equipment that I don't always have.

Today I get to spend the whole day at the fair.

i have been letting the housework go. I am trying to keep up with the kitchen but struggling.

i have let the garden go.

i started the project for the studio (bonus it cleans some scrap out of my garage)

i have made made very small progress on my class work. I am resigned to "doing the best I can" I am limited by the speed at which one cn dry large clay forms without warping. Also, it is very humid here. I am going to set up a drying rack with a fan this weekend.

there were only 3 mice.

there are still raccoons.

my nutrition needs work. But not today. Today is "eat crap at fair" day. It is also "stay out late" day. (I have been getting to bed by ten.)

today i am on vacation.

Vacation and eating crappy food at the fair sound fun) Good for you and enjoy yourself.

Fair was fun. I placed pretty well in a lot of things I entered. But I stayed out late, which I enjoyed, but had consequences.

this morning I am very tired and my head hurts. I still have a lot of things to go (some I want to do, some I "need" to do.)

i lost two two more chickens to the raccoons last night (at least, I can only find 14 of them at the moment, but they are all "free range" 24/7 right now because they WILL NOT go near the coop.)

i also lost lost one of my favorite goats yesterday. This was not related to fair. Her health has always been fragile and she has been at death's door three previous times. This time she stepped through.

i am making an effort not to bring "things" home from fair, but I did buy a t- shirt. And I got a frozen Lemonade in a souvenier cup because I felt like it was better than styrofoam. - if I get another frozen lemonade, I can use the same cup - they do refills. Year-to-year also.

there is so much trash at fair. I accidentally ordered a fried potato thing that came in a sturofoam tray (I ordered it on purpose, I didn't realize about the tray) and I threw that away. I did pick up a couple of abandoned water bottoes to recycle though - offsets?

my nieces are hems holed and my brother is discussing economics with the oldest. Right now they are exploring the idea of opportunity cost.

yesterday I found myself asking "what are the benefits of splitting a $6 styrofoam tray of greasy salty fried potatoes with your 20 y.o. daughter at fair?" "What are the drawbacks?" "what are the direct and opportunity costs?" "How could you maximize the first and minimize the rest?"

dh would tell me I think to much.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    i have let the garden go.
    I'm curious about this. Have you not mulched to keep the weeds down? What is going on that you had to let it go?

My drip system is on automatic. I go out once/week to "climb" my cucumbers on the trellis, pull the new weeds, check my tomatoes and "recage" them if the branches have grown out.....it takes me less than 30 minutes. Oh and check for zucchini every day-takes 1 minute.

I noted in an earlier post you are 50. I am 56. I agree with your recognition you cannot do things as long as you used to. I discovered that at 50 and my stamina continues to decrease. Part of it for me is this knee injury that can only be "fixed" by joint replacement-for which I'm pondering a spring 2018 event.

I realize your garden is one of the many things on your list. I guess I inquire because for me, it's just about the last thing I'd give up. The fabulous fresh food is so awesome and what we can and/or freeze is a gift through the winter.

yesterday I found myself asking "what are the benefits of splitting a $6 styrofoam tray of greasy salty fried potatoes with your 20 y.o. daughter at fair?" "What are the drawbacks?" "what are the direct and opportunity costs?" "How could you maximize the first and minimize the rest?"

dh would tell me I think to much.
    I'd concur with DH. Sometimes choices need to simply be enjoyed. Revel in all the things you DO that make a difference and simply enjoy the occasional fall off the wagon I don't think anyone is perfect!

The garden has been infiltrated by poison ivy. The vines have sent out runners under the mulch and little tiny leaves pop up everywhere and hide under the plants spotting them in the beans for example, was hopeless.

I am severely allergic - as in once the cat walked through poison ivy and lay on the couch and I sat on the couch in shorts and I got what looked like second degree burns from my butt to my calves and had to change the layered bandages several times a day for more than a week. I have had "wrap your arms in ace bandages" cases twice this summer in spite of long sleeves and gloves.

it generally takes the goats a year to really clear it out. They love it and eat it to death.

The garden has been infiltrated by poison ivy. The vines have sent out runners under the mulch and little tiny leaves pop up everywhere and hide under the plants spotting them in the beans for example, was hopeless.

I am severely allergic - as in once the cat walked through poison ivy and lay on the couch and I sat on the couch in shorts and I got what looked like second degree burns from my butt to my calves and had to change the layered bandages several times a day for more than a week. I have had "wrap your arms in ace bandages" cases twice this summer in spite of long sleeves and gloves.

it generally takes the goats a year to really clear it out. They love it and eat it to death.
    CL, you might want to try this salve from Lehmans:
    https://www.lehmans.com/product/all-...lantain-salve/

One year I had awful poison ivy on my hands and they were blistered like you describe and were actually scarred--this healed them right up, no more scarring.

Thread Information