Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Accepting people for what they are...

I have had some deep thoughts on this topic actually. So when we get into the hot topics like guns I get accused of not wanting to listen to others because I run liberal. I honestly don't agree, I listened and learned from my ex-FIL about hunting and actually support it (still got bashed for being a vegetarian). I don't think the law needs to reflect my exact opinion or that people who disagree with me are bad people, however I stopped holding my breath that anyone from the other side would show compassion, curiosity, care, or anything about my negative experiences with guns.

From this, do I want to change people or do I want to be open to how they could change and we could all get to know each other better?

Growing up my parents more-or-less just let the cats and dogs do anything -- pee, poo, vom inside on carpet or bite me protecting some bone or chew toy when I simply walked past it.

They also let their dogs go without a leash and they had very little discipline or manners.

When I got Harlan I decided I was going to raise him right. I never hit him. I used positive reinforcement to train him along with the occasional spray of a water squirt bottle. He never needs more than a swift "No!" to stop doing something questionable in my presence or anyone's presence. I trained him to pee outside, poo outside, and believe it or not I also trained him to go outside when he needs to vom. He rarely barks.

Now, I am not saying he is perfect as he does not get along with most other dogs. He sheds too. He sometimes chews or shreds if he is alone too long or bored (but that is usually my fault for leaving him unattended at home). He also dislikes water and can be annoyingly aloof. But I accept these imperfections because they do not interfere with my life and because he is so good in so many other ways.

I cannot help but think there is a life lesson here.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    So, are you saying that debating, "arguing", or simply presenting an alternate viewpoint on any given subject equals non-acceptance of another person?
    You don't interact with the ControLeft much do you?

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    You don't interact with the ControLeft much do you?
    Actually, I do, and enjoy doing so. I've been posting here for years haven't I?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I can agree or disagree with someone and still think they are an a**hole. One of the teachers in my tradition admits he was a total jerk for many years. I probably agreed with him on many things, wouldn't be the first time. Accepting that and opting out of talking to someone may look like I am disagreeing with your opinion, when in fact it may be I just don't like your personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Actually, I do, and enjoy doing so. I've been posting here for years haven't I?
    Take a couple classes at the nearest public university. I think it is free at your age.

Then you will get a real glimpse at how my beloved left wing is self-destructing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    I can agree or disagree with someone and still think they are an a**hole. One of the teachers in my tradition admits he was a total jerk for many years. I probably agreed with him on many things, wouldn't be the first time. Accepting that and opting out of talking to someone may look like I am disagreeing with your opinion, when in fact it may be I just don't like your personality.
    What can I say? I think this sums it up:

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Ageist!

My husband woke up this morning and the first thing he started talking about was complaining about someone and how he thinks they should change. I would of liked to of said "sometimes the only thing that can change is yourself" but I've been saying that 27 years and it obviously hasn't made a change in his way of thinking so I just stared blankly.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Good job changing yourself float on!

Thread Information