Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Accepting people for what they are...

I've been singing that song for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Good job changing yourself float on!
    Thank you for noticing!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    So, are you saying that debating, "arguing", or simply presenting an alternate viewpoint on any given subject equals non-acceptance of another person? Should I be concerned that you are practicing non-acceptance of me when you disagree? If so, I'm thinking we should just do away with the concept of a discussion forum and call ourselves a validation center.
    no, I think sometimes in an Internet forum you are getting a one dimensional view, void of inflection, tone, body language and so on. I am betting if you and I were speaking face to face I would see a different communication style than typing on a keyboard. To some extent we are all intolerant and frustrated with the limits of these new communication styles.
    Funny that you mention people seeking self validation, because that is something that has really been happening. For instance if you are pro trump you are likely to watch Fox News, read Breitbart and get the Presidents tweets and so on. Likely a liberal most likely to watch CNN, read the New York Times and read Bernie Sanders and so on. On Facebook people tend to have like minded people. When Trump was elected I remember watching on election night amazed that so many people would vote for him. So when the subject came up I asked why people did so. It was very interesting as some people heard such a different message from him than I did. One thing a lot of people missed was they really did not think he was serious about building a physical wall, repealing the ACA and expected him to act much more presidential.

So I think presenting alternate views is important, but in a forum like this the intent is easy to misconstrue as putting others views down.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Funny that you mention people seeking self validation, because that is something that has really been happening. For instance if you are pro trump you are likely to watch Fox News, read Breitbart and get the Presidents tweets and so on. Likely a liberal most likely to watch CNN, read the New York Times and read Bernie Sanders and so on.
    What if you were simply anti-Clinton? In your view, would that person still be lumped into the Fox/Breitbart box? It's possible that they could start their newsday with MSNBC's Morning Joe and end it with Fox's The Five, with their local newspaper and the Wall Street Journal in between. Is there a stereotype for that?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

What if you were simply anti-Clinton? In your view, would that person still be lumped into the Fox/Breitbart box? It's possible that they could start their newsday with MSNBC's Morning Joe and end it with Fox's The Five, with their local newspaper and the Wall Street Journal in between. Is there a stereotype for that?
    I was anti-Clinton. I voted for Bernie in the Primary and then Jill Stein in the general. I read Fox news online, but I don't believe much of it. I also check out NPR, CNN, HuffPo, Breitbart, the BBC, etc. I skim the Columbus Dispatch too.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    me and many others. I watched O'Reilley tonight and CNN this afternoon. I was referring to tendencies we have to validate their own opinion. I did not like Clinton but voted for her. Lesser of two evils. Like others who voted for trump for exactly the same reason.

Thread Information