Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello From Iowa

Hello From Iowa

Greatings from Iowa!

Not a whole lot to say about myself. I am a public transit driver, have a 2 year old son, love my guns and find joy in doing anything I can do myself to save $$$$.

I am also 22 and approved for buying a house (YAY!).

Most of the things I've been minimizing on are financial. Within the next few months I plan on downgrading to dumb phones, but keeping up with a higher end Mil-Spec phone, I figure this will cut the phone bill down by over 50%. I've also started shopping at Aldi. Granted the produce ain't always the best the bone in breasts are under $2 a pound and can be boned in under 30 seconds with a good knife. The canned goods are decent. If I catch a good sale on bulk meat elsewhere I buy it in bulk if I know it'll get used within 2 months.

Anyways...I'm mostly here to LEARN and pitch in on advice where I can.

Some good threads have posted in the last months about decluttering, food choices, price comparisons on a variety of items etc. May I suggest that you explore some of the threads of the first three months of 2017 to start
    Last edited by razz; 3-24-17 at 7:50am.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Hi! My hisband and I are from Iowa. me from Altoona, him from Humboldt. We met in Ames.

You might go through searching this site for book recommendations, then check your local library. Some tips will always be dated, others not so much.
    I had to look up Mil-spec phone, because when I read that, my brain flashed to phones government agencies issue, or a phone like the black phone (not inexpensive). Being of the generation you are, and with a kid, I expect you will get more calls then me. However I found for me it was better/more cost effective, to buy prepaid minutes, from a carrier in area's that I go. I have been able to keep my phone bill down to about $60 a year, since I don't text or use any smartphone features.
    Being approved for a house, does not really always mean your ready. Do you have a good size down payment? Do you have an emergency fund? Has that fund been adjusted, for whatever your mortgage payment will be?
    Welcome.

Yppej
    Welcome. That is great being approved at such a young age. It took me a decade longer being in the expensive northeast. Plus you are doing things right spending wise and I haven't always been consistent. So I look forward to learning from you.

Welcome to the simple life!

Hi Random!
    If I were you I would look for the Amy Dacyzen (spelling?) books from the 90-s' The Frugal Zealot. They really helped me to save in every area of my life. You can get them used on Amazon and other booksellers.
    Glad you are here!

Welcome, RandomIowan! Good for you for making a series of great decisions that will definitely positively impact your life and the life of your child. The people here are terrific, full of great ideas, lots of support, and excellent advice. I also suggest checking out the Daily Frugals section, as it keeps looking for frugal alternatives and solutions at the forefront of your mind.

Looking forward to hearing how it's all going for you!

Lots of family in Iowa myself, welcome to the site

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Hi and welcome! I once spent a week in Vinton, Iowa on a farm when I was 15. It was an interesting experience in that I did not expect to find cool and likable people around me in small farm town Iowa - yet I did. This smashed some prejudices and stereotypes that I carried back then, and I was not surprised that Iowa was the first Midwestern state to pass same sex marriage back in 2009 - there really seemed to be a basic sense of fairness around me in small town Iowa. Rob

Thread Information