Thread: sore throat, 4 days

sore throat, 4 days

I think I will call the nurse line with my DR office. I have had a mild sore throat since I quit smoking, that has been a month. For 4 days it is been pretty much constant although not severe. So nothing I have read suggests quitting means a sore throat and generally feeling crappy for this long. So waiting on this to turn into full blown virus or to improve with more time quit.

Might be your body resisting not having nicotine and other chemicals.

I have a sore throat too but I am not a smoker. Also, explosive sneezing, dry skin and lips and my tongue feels swollen. I suspect it is an allergic reaction to something. I recommend vitamin C drops and lots of ice cold water, and maybe hot cups of tea.

I'm getting over the first cold I've had for several years. It started with a sore throat. I laved my nasal passages and throat with salt water, took zinc and vitamin C and indulged in a nap or two. It didn't last long. 'Tis the season, apparently.

So I am on the weekend! I read up and am going to take a lot of Vitamin C, I have cans of chicken noodle soup, I am putting on the little room vaporizer, tracking temp and peak flow, and resting a LOT. I think that I may be able to just live through this with lazyness.

I agree that taking it easy and treating each symptom is best. Watch your temperature since it is a good indicator of changes.

Later: I would suggest simmering a few chicken parts with some veggies rather than eating canned chicken soup. First, it is fresher and second it has way less salt.

Buy a roasted chicken, take the meat off and use it. Then take the bones, skin and juices and make a stock. Kroger has a frozen bag of onion, carrot and celery to add to it. Simmer for a long time. Strain and throw out the bones. Great stock for any kind of soup you want. Add back some of the chicken, more veggies (I love mushrooms) and some Amish Noodles. They dont get too soft on reheating. The stock freezes well.

Yes--I forgot I made and drank homemade chicken stock for the duration. I'm sure it helped. Add plenty of garlic.

Have you tried gargling with salt water? It's kind of disgusting but it does seem to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary B. View Post
    Have you tried gargling with salt water? It's kind of disgusting but it does seem to help.
    And bathe your nasal passages at the same time (an eye dropper helps with this). I've been able to head off several colds with this and the zinc/vitamin C combination.

I think living in low humidity causes some colds. It's important to try to keep the humidity of your house/apt up all winter.
    Also, I think zinc and Vitamin C are great to shorten the length of a cold. And 2 mg of Zinc does nothing. Get a pill with just zinc in it....about 50 mg.
    I've had a slightly sore throat for a while, but I think it's reflux.

Thread Information