Thread: Recommended reading

Recommended reading

Not sure if this is the right sub-forum or not. Feel free to move it if it fits better somewhere else. I've been meaning to buy literature on the topic of simpler living. The old me would have bought a dozen books or so, "just to be sure". Striving for a more frugal lifestyle, I decided to buy just one book or maybe two. I want to make an informed choice.

What books would you recommend for someone in the very beginning of a simpler lifestyle? This thread can be a general discussion on related literature as well, but personally I'm interested in some kind of basic text, i.e. something that would cover a lot of topics in a relatively simple way rather than delving to some particular aspect of simple living in detail. Someone here already recommended the book Your Money or Your Life. What other good books are out there?

The Ultimate Cheapskate was life-changing for me, and it was an engaging and entertaining read.

Yppej
    You can still read a bunch, just get them for free through interlibrary loan.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I know! Why buy any book?

My favorite simplicity book is The Millionaire Next Door. It is not a "how to" book, though. It examines the habits and traits of people with a million and more in $ assets who are living quiet, unflashy lives.the book os 20 sme years old and a million dollars doesnt go far now, but the ideas are still sound. I am not sure that this book fits your criteria, though.

Your Money or Your Life is the modern bible for philosophy of persnal finance. The core idea, that we need to put a dollar value on every hour of our life that we are working for someone else and spend our money accordingly to our values, is golden. he chapters about about investing are outdated, however.

Still love The Tightwad Gazette books!

I've read a handful of simple living "how to" books but one the has suck with me on more of an inspirational account was "Plain and Simple". It's the true story of a women who goes to live with the Amish for a while. It's light on the religion side and not any sort of Amish documentary, but more about lifestyle and finding a path. I think you can pick up a used copy off Amazon for a quarter or so plus postage.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I second this.

Thread Information