Thread: new structure/supervisor

new structure/supervisor

We had our conversations yesterday about the new structure and our new supervisors. At the end of the my difficult conversation the other day the interim director told me that I was getting a new supervisor and this person was very excited to work with me. The difficult conversation was, well difficult. I was obviously upset by the end. I had very important things to say, and by the end I was able to say some of them. I am really proud of telling her at the end that the project I had issues with was presented to us under a power and control model primarily, and that if I had known what the purpose was I would have been ahead of the project and made her look and the supervisors look awesome. We have worked on committees before on communication issues, and power and control from a level of the organization. When she talked about how many jobs everyone was doing (after telling me she could solve my workload issues) I told her that we are all dealing with this and we have a choice to work together rather than in conflict. Much of the reason I went to her is our previous work on committees of communication and personalized learning rather than her position as interim director.

So I am happy with my new supervisor. He is a nice guy and he apparently wants to work with me, he has been in our grouping for awhile so I do know him. I think I can work with him the way I work best, without being overly concerned about hierarchy. The structure is also pretty good. It is more flattened that vertical and that suits me much better. They have actually created a structure that could lead to people being promoted from within! There has been a gap between managing one site and managing 10 where there were no opportunities to manage 4-5 as a mid-step, so we promote underqualified or from outside. They also put us in geographic regions which supports some of the work we have been doing for awhile.

Good to hear that positive moves are afoot.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I'm happy for you about the new supervisor, ZG. I hope you find he and the new structure make things a bit easier for you, and that the new set up gives you room to advance/continue to develop your skills.
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

I hope so, and I read the list of the programs that would be eliminated under our exalted cheeto head. It includes the 21st CCLC grant, which I have worked under for 5 years and has funded about 10 of our schools for many years. It explains some of the stress we are all under at the upper levels (can this help me excuse the emotional crap the other day?)

Thread Information