Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dating Someone with Type 1 Diabetes

Then I realize he is the person I think I have been waiting for my whole life and that I CAN accept every part of him
    I read this and this was the love letter I needed to read and think about my man. Because I was bitterly thinking about how the "honeymoon" lasts about as long as a credit card "grace period".

Because things are hard and I can't help wondering if it's even worth it. Health issues are not the problem, spendiness isn't even the problem (and that seems a very minor problem indeed *if* you have the income to sustain it without debt). The problem is he has an exploitive job with 10-11 hour days 5 days a week, plus half days Saturday, with a very hostile environment with constant verbal abuse going on all day at work. And then since he has some tendency to depression anyway the at times (uh Sunday night, know what I mean) crushing depression about the situation. Plus great difficulty finding a better job. Economic hopelessness is a hard thing to deal with as well!!! It's very hard.

And we also took a hike, not far from civilization (20 minutes and we could be back to civilization by the direct route, although that would be going over brush so the trail is better really), and he got traumatized because he flashed back to being lost as a kid and I had to think about "which way is the trail". Not really how I wanted the hike to go. But emotional sensitivity is one of the aspects that showed very early on (when he was talking about how much a play he saw affected him etc.) and one of the reasons I was drawn to him (it helps I'm NOT touchy feely myself, far less so than the average woman probably, as two people like that might not work).
    Trees don't grow on money

I don't think I did this right, but Float On wrote "I am headed your way in early April. Have to get my yearly fix of NM. My son wants to go back and visit his friends at St John's in Santa Fe so I'm bringing him along. If you see a short blonde with a tall long-haired early 20's kid....that's me! We'll come through your town on the 6th".

Oh, that's exciting, Float On! Do stop in, I'd love to meet you in person! If it is Thursday, I am technically closed that day, but I should be around. Let me know for sure if you are coming through (on the way from the airport in ABQ?) and I'll make sure to be here! It's the lime green gallery on the left when you come into town from Santa Fe or on the right going north from ABQ, on the north end of town.

Apathetic, is your SO actively looking for another job? Or does he make enough to see the light at the end of the tunnel? I hope so.
    I know the Sunday night depression; I had it for years. I wake up thankful every day that it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Apathetic, is your SO actively looking for another job?
    yes not a lot of jobs, not sure why it is so hard, maybe need some other plan (but those hours don't allow one to work on other plans while having a job - not that that is ever remotely easy even with the straight 40 hours, but there is difficult and then there is near impossible)

I looked for a job for a long time too to get out of my last one (just a dead end but not horrible otherwise - so endurable in the scheme of things), but had interviews and so all was not entirely hopeless

Or does he make enough to see the light at the end of the tunnel? I hope so.
    no enough to live on but not to get ahead really.
    Trees don't grow on money

I hear Portland is looking for tech workers; I don't know how true that is. It might be worth a look--or at least a vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by SiouzQ. View Post
    I don't think I did this right, but Float On wrote "I am headed your way in early April. Have to get my yearly fix of NM. My son wants to go back and visit his friends at St John's in Santa Fe so I'm bringing him along. If you see a short blonde with a tall long-haired early 20's kid....that's me! We'll come through your town on the 6th".

Oh, that's exciting, Float On! Do stop in, I'd love to meet you in person! If it is Thursday, I am technically closed that day, but I should be around. Let me know for sure if you are coming through (on the way from the airport in ABQ?) and I'll make sure to be here! It's the lime green gallery on the left when you come into town from Santa Fe or on the right going north from ABQ, on the north end of town.
    Yea!
    When you want to quote someone in the bar below their post it says Reply or Reply with Quote. Hit that reply with quote you can remove what you want but leave the (QUOTE) commands at the beginning and end.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Hi SiouzQ! Coming late to this conversation. Nice to hear from you. Your situation is classic in a way---major good things and major concerns. Abraham Lincoln said something along the lines of "No good thing was ever lost by waiting to do it" --I have completely mangled this quotation, but that is the gist of it. I thought of it when I read your post---take it slow and stay away from any legal connection. People who don't plan well can sometimes be prone to passivity and dependence on people who do plan well. So good to hear you are enjoy life in NM!

There's a lot to be said for falling in love at 16 and marrying at 19. Neither of us were grown up enough to know we had issues then we were stubborn enough and committed enough to stay married and work through them when they bore their ugly heads 38years next month!

To be completely honest, my first thought was, approaching 60 there is more likelyhood of getting a chronic illness in the next decade than avoiding it. And you can insist on being the driver and as mature adults can keep $ separate as many do. Talk about it now/soon and negotiate the relationship before it progresses. Then.......... Enjoy the relationship!

SiouzQ
    I am so glad to hear your updates! Michigan is so far away now I bet.

Thread Information