Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you do your own taxes without a program?

After calculating they were charging me something like 40% interest on my rapid refund decades ago I have refused to have anyone else prepare or file my taxes for me. I do them on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    After calculating they were charging me something like 40% interest on my rapid refund decades ago I have refused to have anyone else prepare or file my taxes for me. I do them on paper.
    Those rapid refund loans were such a scam.

Just got ours back yesterday from our accountant. $180 was all he charged us for 3 state/3 fed all with self-employment and other things. So worth it. I had a friend once who used one of those pop-up places for their personal and business and I couldn't believe it when I saw the invoice - every extra schedule had it's own fee, every paper had it's own fee. Their bill was over $1000.00 and I knew their business wasn't as complicated as ours (limited to one state whereas at the time we had to file in 8-10 states). It's worth building a long-term relationship. Our accountant was also an artist who went back to accounting after an injury ended his metal art career.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Being a CPA (although not a tax guy by profession), I do my own on paper every year. We have a fairly simple salary/small business situation, so I can get it done in an afternoon. It's so easy even a Republican can do it.